PDA

View Full Version : Lower Klamath opener

delta916
10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Had a great opener last saturday at the Lower Klamath fields. Three of us shot 18 specks on saturday and another 9 on sunday. My 11 year old son got his first goose on saturday. That was it for him for the weekend but he was excited to go and get his first bird.

hanahou7
10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Great post! I am new to hunting and am looking to get out for my first time sometime next month. Do you have any tips or recommendations?

Also, are reservations required for all public lands, or just for certain areas, like the Sacramento NWR?

Thanks!

delta916
10-23-2011, 11:21 AM
The tips and reccommendations could be endless for someone who has never hunted before. I will start with reservations. They make life easier if you can get one but are not absolutley neccessary to get in. You can apply for reservations on the DFG website. If/when you don't get drawn you can apply for the lottery at Sacramento, colusa, or delevan the night before the hunt. Details on how to do that can be found on the Sacramento NWR website. Most of the other state wildlife refuges are first com/ first serve for the sweat line. Yolo and Little dry Creek are exceptions for this, they both do lotteries the night before. I would reccomend for any newb to start with afternoon hunts to the area you think you will hunt the most. That way you have light and can learn the lay of the land before venturing off into the dark. Feel freee to ask more questions but try to be specific. Most folks like myself who have hunted the refuge system for a while could write a book on all of the little things that help to find the birds. Good luck and welcome to the world of waterfowling.

tonsofun
10-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Reservations and Lotteries are for Type A areas. There are also type C areas that you can just walk out there hunt. Way fewer birds but alot less hunters but if you cant make it to the lotteries due to work its better then nothing. Check dfg's website.

hanahou7
10-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the helpful information! I am hoping to get out sometime in November, and will probably tag along with a friend who has hunted for a while. I think he goes to a Type C area (Don Castro?) but I figure the best way to learn is to just get out there

dbass
10-25-2011, 01:26 PM
LK is on my place to hunt list, it's probably like waterfowl heaven up there! It just seem a bit intimidating when I think about hunting there not knowing where to start, I just got to do it. I have hunted Fall River on the NE opener and it was a blast, I just got this feeling LK or Tule will blow Fall River away.

delta916
11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I have been hunting the klamath basin for the last 20 years. If I don't get drawn for the opener I try to make it up there in mid november. I've never had a bad hunt there. If you waterfowl in california you have to find the time to go to klamath. I have hunted canada, colorado, nevada, and oregon and LK/Tule Lake is right up there with the best of them. Just go!! After the opener there is very little pressure up there. You may not know where to start but I guarantee you will not figure it out from home, you gotta go!!

hanahou7
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
That sounds awesome. Is that a Type C area? Or do we have to obtain reservations of some sort? I read that we're supposed to contact the Tule Lake Refuge Headquarters but they didn't have anything in the regulations book specifically pertaining to that area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

delta916
11-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I haven't looked at this thread in a while. LK/Tule lake are kind of a unique situation. They are neither a type C or A area. They hunt 7 days a week until 1:00 in the afternoon. You have to have a permit which can only be purchased at the refuge HQ at tule lake. $20 for the season. No reservations are necessary past the opening weekend. You can scout from the roads in the afternoons and it is well worth doing. It is a huge area and truly some of the best waterfowling in the state.

hanahou7
12-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks Delta. Not sure if I'll get there this year; maybe next year. Good luck to you this year!