PDA

View Full Version : electrical connections for perko anchor light base

Starcraft27
10-22-2011, 08:16 AM
My anchor light in the rear of the boat stopped working, and after investigation it is due to corrosion. Its pretty bad and I'd rather replace the wires then clean them. The base itself is in fine shape it is just the contacts that insert into the light pole. I was wondering if these two wires contacts are replaceable? I haven't been able to find them. Only the replaceable bases which I cant justify buying.

Thanks

hotdog
10-22-2011, 05:51 PM
I use dielectric grease on those connections which helps to keep the corrosion down. What I normally see is more damage on the light post (female connection) than the base. You may have to replace the light post, and if you do, squirt ample dielectric grease inside when you first plug it in. When you pull the post out, everything should be coated with grease. So far, I've never had to replace the base.
I'm big on using that grease on every electrical connection, it helps.

Starcraft27
10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks,

I removed the base, was able to tap the contacts out and used a wire brush attached to my grinder to clean off all the corrosion. Tapped them back in and works great. I ordered Corrosion X which I will be using every few months on my electrical contacts as a preventative measure. Didn't have nearly as many electrical issues until I've been in saltwater.