PDA

View Full Version : Trolling with Apex trout killers ?

tbruski
10-30-2011, 07:18 AM
I recently purchased some Apex Trout Killer lures. It seems alot of people have had success with them. They are 1.0 Apex #351t to be specific. They recommend a trolling speed of 1.5-2 mph with a ball bearing or chain swivel which makes sense. Also, make sure the the leader knot is pulled straight so that the hook hangs straight down and in line with the lure body. So here is the problem. I could not get the lure to sink properly. I would stay on top no matter what speed we tried, it did go down once and I had a good strike within 5 mins. But I had continual problems with it staying right on top of the surface and finally gave up trying thinking we were doing something wrong. When I got home and went to the web site I could not find anything that addresses this problem. Please let me know if there are any tricks or suggestions that might help.
Thanks,
Bruski

Steve079
10-30-2011, 07:56 AM
When I topline, I have a 1/2 egg weight above the swivel. Apex's do seem like they want to run high, but I only use then on the DR, or with weight.

Koke Machine83
10-30-2011, 03:45 PM
First thing i do is, get rid of the factory leader. It's to heavy!!! That's why the package states you have to troll that fast. Change it over to #8 leader... Now you can troll a lot slower with the same action!!!

When you retie the leader, make it 5' long. Add a 1/8 or heavier bullet weight to help get it under the surface. I usually run my downrigger in the top 10' in the fall and Winter.

I also usually run the 1.5 Apex's, but have had success with the 1.0's... You can troll as slow as 1.0 GPS, After you change the leader line to #8... Good Luck and hope this helps...

Robbie

HeyNiceFish
10-30-2011, 05:00 PM
What's a good color to use for trout?

Mark

Steve079
10-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Chrome, Chrome/blue, Firetiger, Cop Car.

HeyNiceFish
10-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks Steve!

Big Game
10-30-2011, 08:27 PM
I like the RT and Firetiger
Big Game

tbruski
10-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys,
Robbie and Steve thanks for the help. I will try it out on Friday and let you know how it goes. I will try Firetiger and Watermelon.
Bruski

BassJack
11-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Like Robbie said - retie that leader. I like 8 lb test fluorocarbon. I also switch out the factory hooks with higher-quality hooks.

You can use a dodger to get it down. A Sep's or Sling-Blade style dodger will do the trick. Use at least a three foot leader when doing this. Like Robbie said, use a longer leader when running them behind a bullet weight or egg sinker.

Besides nighcrawlers, Apex style lures are my go-to when the bite gets tough. Chrome or white are good colors to mimic shad or pond smelt which are forage fish in most of our local reservoirs. Don't be afraid to tip the hook with a small half-inch section of nighcrawler for some added scent and action.

tbruski
11-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks to all the info provided by my fellow sniffers, here are the results.
Fished Lake Chabot Friday. Got out a little late around 9:00.
Started out with Rapalas f-7, f-9's for 2 fish in the boat, 1 sdr, 1 ldr in the first hr. Put the Apex firetiger 1.5 out, first 10 min fish on! Kept the raps on each side and the Apex in the middle trolling @ 1.5-2mph a little slow for the raps but we caught a nice one on the f-7 at that speed so we stayed with the same plan. The apex in the middle then hit 3 in a row in the next 45 min. Raps =0. Switched one of the other side poles to the apex and caught 3 more before our batteries ran out of juice for the second time:mad2:. We used 4 of the "newer" batteries, I'm going to bring my own from now on. We use our own trolling motor anyway and then we can just pay for a row boat:grin: . Limped in on my spare fish finder battery around 2:00. Final tally 9 on the stringer all 1.5-2 lbs. 2 sdr and alot of other hits. Sorry only 1 pic for my iphone after the first 4, I forgot the camera in the garage.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6882/photomxi.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/photomxi.jpg/)

Hookin_Up
11-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Good job. I was out there on Sat and only caught 1. Funny enough, I have a few Apex's that I was itching to try out there, and now I wish I had! Do you tip them with a piece of crawler or anything? Thanks for the report.

tbruski
11-08-2011, 05:36 PM
I did not try the crawler on them. I will on Friday and see if it makes a difference.
Bruski