PDA

View Full Version : HD10 lowrance

Radical
11-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Any Lowrance pros know why when you select a goto waypoint to navigate to, the redline connects from where the boat is at that monent to the waypoint but as the boat moves the red line or track doesn't follow the boat. Traveling through the bays you can completely lose the course because the starting red line doesn't stay with the boat. Is there something to turn on to get it to track the boat?

AnglingWes
11-19-2011, 11:17 AM
ReelJerks (Edd) is the local Lowrance guru. Shoot him a PM if he doesn't reply to the thread.

ReelJerks
11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Any Lowrance pros know why when you select a goto waypoint to navigate to, the redline connects from where the boat is at that monent to the waypoint but as the boat moves the red line or track doesn't follow the boat. Traveling through the bays you can completely lose the course because the starting red line doesn't stay with the boat. Is there something to turn on to get it to track the boat?

Actually, you answered your own question. NAVIGATE TO means to navigate to a selected waypoint from 'where you are at'. To navigate from waypoint to waypoint, or from any pre selected location to any waypoint, you must navigate a route. Another thing to remember is when you navigate from point A to waypoint B, it is along the shortest straight line, so be careful of land!

Edd

AnglingWes
11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Edd,
Does the line between the boat and the waypoint change as the boat moves off course? If not, can you set it to?

Radical
11-20-2011, 06:10 PM
I would like to navagate from where the boat is located at that time, not where it was 5 miles ago. In the bays you have to zoom way out to see the red course and then you lose the ability to see the intricate depths. In the ocean it might work great the way is does but in the bay you might have to several miles around an island to get back to the course line. I hope they have some way of having the start point follow the boat. Is there any way we can get them to fix this problem. I wonder if I am the only one that gets lost.

The land thing can be dealt with if the red line follows the boat. It gets annoying to me to have to zoom out to find the red line and then zoon back in to watch water depth.

Radical
11-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I would like to apologize to ReelJerk. I sounded kind of brisk in my responce. I'm not as patient at writing as I should be and sometimes it seems to come out as I'm a real jerk. Thanks for responding to my inquiry.

Radical
11-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Couldn't sleep last night and remembered the course up button. Would that keep the course line attached to the boat? I think I have heading up selected.

ReelJerks
11-21-2011, 08:13 AM
It gets annoying to me to have to zoom out to find the red line and then zoon back in to watch water depth.

Are you talking about the 'look ahead' feature? Does this line get shorter the slower you go? Maybe if you can put up a screen shot, I will better understand what you are asking.

Edd

ReelJerks
11-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Couldn't sleep last night and remembered the course up button. Would that keep the course line attached to the boat? I think I have heading up selected. Now I'm thinking that you're talking about the TRAIL line. Is that correct? If so, which module are you using (internal or external) and how do you have it set up? Let me give you my setup to maybe help.
Heading Extension - ON
Extension Length - 2 minutes
Waypoints - ON
Routes - ON
Trails - ON
Orientation - North UP
Look Ahead - ON

If this doesn't help, see if you can put up a screen shot showing the problem.

BTW, you didn't offend me at all, and I appreciate the afterthought and apology.

Edd

Radical
11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm not smart enough to know how to do the screen shots yet. I have the unit at home so I powered ir up.

In chart options under orentation, there is a North up, Heading up, Course up. Down under that is the look ahead feature. I haven't used the unit enough yet to figure everything out. I don't remember the course line staying in one place before. I seem to remember that it followed the boat to the goto point. I might have changed the setup to heading up. Maybe that allowed the starting point to change.

I'm going to start another thread wit a question about maps.

ReelJerks
11-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm not smart enough to know how to do the screen shots yet. I have the unit at home so I powered ir up.

In chart options under orentation, there is a North up, Heading up, Course up. Down under that is the look ahead feature. I haven't used the unit enough yet to figure everything out. I don't remember the course line staying in one place before. I seem to remember that it followed the boat to the goto point. I might have changed the setup to heading up. Maybe that allowed the starting point to change.

I'm going to start another thread wit a question about maps.

North Up means no matter what direction the cursor is traveling, the top of the screen is always North.
Heading up means the chart is always in the direction the boat is facing.
Course Up means the chart page is shown in the same orientation as your original bearing to a destination.

If you change to North Up I think it will help you. Just remember that the LEFT side of the POINT is always PORT and the RIGHT side is always STARBOARD.
And you know you can always change the trail color for your trails. I actually change mine each time I go to a certain lake so I can more easily see how the action has changed.

Edd