PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa 11/26

ultralightfan
11-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Took the boat and my friend's son Marcus up to Berryessa to get him his first fish.

Launched out of Capell at 7:45. I was planning on running toward the dam but saw a large group of birds and trout jumping just outside of Skier's cove, so I thought it would be a good spot to show Marcus how to topline. The trout were quite acrobatic and jumping at least 3 feet high (we saw at least 7 or 8 jumping like this). Put the first rod out and didn't even get it to 80 ft. behind the boat and a fish slammed it while still letting line out - of course it was a short hit and LDR. Got the rod out to 135ft. back and it took all of 30 seconds to hook up again. First fish in the boat at 8:05. Continued towards the narrows and picked up another just inside the mouth of the narrows. Decided to turn around and make a pass in front of Skier's cove again and noticed huge schools of fish between 18 and 35 ft down. Time to teach Marcus how to use a downrigger.

Once he learned how to hook the rods up and drop the downrigger down, we continued on and got bit about 3 minutes after dropping down. Finished the day at 12 noon with 5 in the boat with the biggest ones going 16 inches. Lost one that looked to be about 3 lbs at the boat. Numerous bites all day, but they seemed to be short hitting.

Baits of the day were a frog pattern needlefish behind a green sling blade and a chrome/green kastmaster behind a hyper plaid sling blade. Flashers got 0 hits. Magic speed was between 1.3 and 1.9 mph. Scent of the day was a tie between Pro Cure Trophy Trout and Pro Cure Krill. It was a great day to see Marcus catch his first fish... he is hooked now. Jut wait until Koke season and he will be even more hooked. I think we have another future fisherman on our hands. The picture below is Marcus with the day's catch once we got home.

I did hear someone on the radio checking for Sniffers, but couldn't answer back quick enough because we were hooked up on fish #4 :)

Until next time, tight lines everyone!

Fishbucket
11-28-2011, 05:27 AM
Way to go !

You can see it in his eyes...you created a monster.

KokeNut
11-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Ultralite;
Thanks for the post and pics, great to see a newby do so well, good job on those bows. That was me checking to see if any FS's were out there. We managed 8 bows to the boat, with the biggest being 1.25 lbs. See you on the water sometime. KokeNut (Jeff):clap: