PDA

View Full Version : Are there actually fish in Natoma?

BeefCakeScout
11-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I have taken my kids there a couple times and plunked bait for no luck. I hear there are BIG trout in there, but have never seen any reports. Is this like some kind of secret? Do you need a boat/tub? Whats the deal?

hookeyjaw
11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
There are super monster trout in there. Very few and far between though. On average I catch a trout there every 5-10 trips. Landed a 18.2 pound rainbow there last march...

thelastword
11-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Read this...
Lake Natomas (http://www.flyfishingspecialties.com/fishingdb/natomas/_natomas/00000002.htm)

dirty530
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
does anyone know if some of Notoma's rainbows spawn in Willow Creek?

stales49
11-29-2011, 12:58 AM
yeah i belive there are some big fish in there. they used to stock it but i think they stopped within the last couple years. i trolled there one time not to far from the dam for like an hour and caught a nice 2lber, but that was it..i wouldnt go out of my way to fish there but if its close to home and have some time why not.

SuckerPunch
11-29-2011, 07:03 AM
I have taken my kids there a couple times and plunked bait for no luck. I hear there are BIG trout in there, but have never seen any reports. Is this like some kind of secret? Do you need a boat/tub? Whats the deal?

Looking at the pic's of those fish, I don't think PowerBait will cut it. Maybe a foot-long squaw on a striper rod would...

ssgtpetersen
11-30-2011, 11:15 AM
some people might get mad but try roe under a bobber

BIG_ONE
11-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Whole market shrimp under a bobber or 3 way swivel rig...

CRABBY
11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
some people might get mad but try roe under a bobberLOL,naw nobody here will get mad an say bad things,that's against the rules!!! :goodscout1jp:........:rolleyes2:.......Don

BeefCakeScout
11-30-2011, 07:11 PM
HOLY <EXPLETIVE>!!!! I need a yak with a FF and trolling motor!

Bigg A
11-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Try up by the rainbow bridge......regular ole' nightcrawlers

67shelbysmash
11-30-2011, 08:58 PM
HOLY <EXPLETIVE>!!!! I need a yak with a FF and trolling motor! my dad and i drilled rod holders into our yaks, he took it a step further by putting his old fish finder from his ranger on it and then took a small battery and put it in the back of the system. Has a small trolling motor that just needs a new prop or something and its a killer yak. Drift fish tahoe and fallen leaf for macks like that. Definitely hitting up Natoma in my down time with the yak drifting crawlers

cesbjk
01-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I have fished Lake Natoma since 1988 mostly from the bank. The best time to fish is when the water is flowing out in the tributaries. I have landed 100s of 3lb. large and smallmouth bass, two 6 lb. sacramento pikes, large crappie, large bluegill, 10 plus channel cats, large carp on rapalas in July in the shallows. This lake is best for me at night and when the water flows out. But night fishing is no longer allowed.

ncreys
01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
some people might get mad but try roe under a bobber

i know i won't get mad......i've caught decent trout floating a bobber with salmon roe. i'll even go one further..and i hope no one gets mad....bobber, roe, and a little peanut butter spread near the top. it's worked...believe it or not.

MFish
01-05-2012, 10:14 PM
I have personally seen some of the biggest rainbows in Natoma that I haven't seen anywhere else and the colors on most of them are PHENOMENALLY BEAUTIFUL :D My PB out of there was this 10lb. 2oz. "pigskin" on January 30th, 2009 from the bank by the dam and I never expected to catch a trout anywhere near this size out of that lake:

pikawood
01-05-2012, 10:42 PM
As many have already said, yes there are huge trout in Natoma. I grew up about 10 mins away and we used to fish there all the time. My dad was a park ranger and we spent a lot of time on the lake - actaully had a good friend that was another ranger that lived on the lake. In addition to big trout there are some trophy smallmouth bass as well as the occasional trophy largemouth. It wasn't uncommon for us to catch several smallies over 3-4 pounds on a spring outing. For big trout small crayfish always worked best. You used to be able to buy them at Wild Sports. We never caught a huge amount of fish but we did catch quality fish. Natoma is loaded with crayfish. Haven't lived there in several years but I imagine there's still a great fishery there. Best of luck.

robertdnoll
01-06-2012, 07:55 AM
eat nothing from that lake.mercury

hookeyjaw
01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I agree don't eat any fish outta natoma. Catch and release. Besides we want the good genetics from those monsters to stay there... Plus they will only get bigger.

dirty530
01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
@ssgtpetersen: who gets mad at you for using roe under a bobber??? fly fishermen? ;)

@BeefCakeScout: just because you have a yak/trolling motor, don't get your hopes up. went out there a month or so ago and trolled from foslom blvd to the prison property line, drifting row, crawlers and throwing my luckycraft pointer for NOTHING. obviously there are some pigs in there, but i agree with those who say "there are few".

@cesbjk: what's the best time of year for bass fishing? spring? the lake looks like it's really bassy when the water floods the weed lines. what are you throwing for bass?

@pikawood: i saw a TON of bird crap with crayfish shells so i agree that crayfish are a BIG food source. what kind of hook are you using for live dads? when have you been the most successful for bass? for trout?

What areas are the best to fish for bass? I've heard negro bar's good for trout.. are people refering to the rocky cliffs on the north side above the rainbow bridge or the rocky points that come out of the water next to the negro bar swimming area?

Thanks guys, this thread's pretty awesome!

pikawood
01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I've fished all over Natoma and caught very nice smallies. Best times of year for me have been late March to early May, with mid-April seeming to be the produce the most numbers. Rebel deep wee-rs, bombers, and deep shad raps in crawfish and firetiger patterns were always the go to baits followed by 3" salt and pepper Kalins grubs w/ 1/8 oz darter head. Locate clean river rock edges (no moss/grass/sticks etc.) and crank until you scrape the bottom or if fish are a bit sluggish slow reel the grubs right along the bottom. My best luck has been the area right by Negro Bar on the north side of the lake. The area tha has softball size river rocks is usually fantastic. The water can be very clear so long casts and thin line seem to work best. Don't use line thicker than 8lb if you can. Never had great numbers of largemouth but the ones we did catch came mainly from willow creek area in flooded timbers with small worms, small spinnerbaits, and poppers (rico's Spalsh-its, etc.) - again mainly early spring. Although they weren't as numerous as the smallies they were generally quality fish. Never fished there in the winter for bass. Fished a few dog days' in the summer but never did that good. The water gets super clear and there's a bunch of swimmers/divers/drunks in my favorite spots!

For fishing w/ the crawdads we generally used a slip bobber. Try to keep the bait off the bottom about a foot or so. We would nose hook the bait with small regular baitholder hooks - size 6-8 generally, depending on how small the crawdads were. Never had good luck fishing them on the bottom. They tend to wiggle into the rocks and get hung up. Again, we rarely (by that I mean never) got limits this way but we would catch big fish this way. We generally fished near the ramp area and also near Willow creek.

Again haven't fished there in years but do have very fond memories of the huge fish this lake has produced.

Good luck!

cesbjk
01-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Fishing in Lake Natoma is hit and miss. My personal best largemouth was caught on April 5 way back in the coves towards the dam end. When the water drops, it is good to fish areas of rocks. I guess it brings out the crawdads and minnows from hiding. I landed a bunch of large crappie off the main lake in the coves in April as well on a cloudy and windy day. Early morning surface lures in shallow water near the bike tube bridge towards the dam side while the water is moving out is deadly. When it is good, it is real good.