PDA

View Full Version : Lake Amador 7-16

mandoman70
12-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Made a trip to Amador last Friday (7-16) with my daughter. Got a late start at around 11 am. The bite had been excellent my last few outings here, but I agree with the last few posts, it was tough out there that day!

Well, we missed a few on floating green power bait and and a few on power worms, and had 1 on the stringer after 4 hours of fishing. There were quite a few nice size schools cruising very shallow water throughout the day, but these fish were not interested! Finally toward the end of our day around 3:30 I decided to make a few casts toward deeper water ( maybe 15 feet or so) and let the power worm sink to the bottom and slow twitch it all the way back in. On the third cast doing this, I got this nice steelhead looking trout! Took about 10 minutes to get her in and right when my daughter scooped her in the net the hook slides right out!

Gonna put this one in the smoker tomorrow and make some smoked fish dip for Christmas!

Merry Fishmas to all!

Mandoman70

TAZMAN64
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Awesome trout, When fishing is tuff there you have to try new things and in this case it worked out. Congrats. steve

Marv
12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
There's another chunky Amador bow, very nice fish. Did you happen to measure it?

RideNfish
12-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Awesome dude! Sweet fish.

Tell me please. How do you rig the power worm when doing this?

Thanks

:cheers:

dilbeck
12-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Awesome dude! Sweet fish.
Tell me please. How do you rig the power worm when doing this?

Good question, wacky style maybe for more action?

Marv
12-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Im guessing he was split shottin' them :)

mnca711
12-19-2011, 03:33 AM
Are we in July or December? LOL jk. Had to throw that out there. Nice looking fish. Still havent hit amador this yr but hope to be out there soon.

bankaroos
12-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Good looking bow there Mando. So how did you do today, besides the big one you caught this morning, how did you do the rest of the day?

mandoman70
12-20-2011, 09:18 AM
What up Bankaroos! My buddy and I scratched out 4 more and called it a day at about 2:30. It was a tough day no doubt about that. Any day fishing is the best though! How about you? Did you move to another area and hopefully found some willing biters?

Mandoman70

mandoman70
12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I did not measure this fish. In hindsight, I wish I did! Just went up to the cafe and weighed her on their scales so I have to go by that.

My number one presentation at Amador is a three inch power worm threaded on a 1/32 oz darter jig head . I like all the colors since they all have worked, although chartreuse and orange have worked best recently. I rig the worm like the bass guys do for spotted bass on lakes like Oroville/Shasta. I'll try and attach a pic so you can see what it looks like. Most of the time I just reel in very slowly and twitch at the same time for most of my bites. Other times it's just a straight retrieve like you would a Kastmaster, just a bit slower! When it's really tough, I'll crawl it reeeeeaallll Ssssllowwww on the bottom. Oh, like Tazman, I put scent on them too. I use the Berkeley trout attractant in the little squeeze bottle because it's convenient for me. I will soon try out some of the scents he recommends though!

The most important thing, in my opinion is that I use 2 lb.. test line and that gets me a lot more bites than even 4 lb. line. Yes I do lose some fish, but I also catch a fair share of them too! What's that saying? "Better to have hooked and lost then to have not hooked at all!" or something like that....

Mandoman70

mandoman70
12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
LMFAO!!! um-mm.... yeah it is December, not July! Harrrr!!! Good eye mate, good eye.

PapaGreg
12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Hit Amador this morning with the grandson, fished right below the last parking lot at the spillway, 2 fish in 4 hours, not very good!

Counted close to twenty boats on the water, the shore fisherman were abundant, but it was far from being crowded.

Weather was nice, a cool breeze now and then.

Threw most everything at them, kastmasters, thomas bouyants, super-dupers, wooly buggers, PB, PE, and PW.

The2 we caught hit the same bait, green PB off the bottom, about 24 inch leader.