PDA

View Full Version : Bird dog milestone

Hof
12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Wednesday we had a lousy day at Gray Lodge but it ended up being a great one for me even though I never pulled the trigger. Thick fog, lousy location, (Our go to spot was taken) but Angus came through with his first under water retrieve. My hunting partner shot a passing wood duck and off he went down somewhere in the thick tules. Worked our dogs for a while and then Angus got very birdy. He started dunking his head and pulling up tule from under water, then he started trying to dig. He was going completely crazy, dumped his head underwater once again and flipped a hen wood out of the water and then into his mouth. Only bird opportunity of the day and I never pulled the trigger but I will remember that hunt for ever. It's not about how many you shoot, it's all about the memories :cheers:

Hof

TheWeasel
01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
I love seeing the same thing. My chessie does the same thing. Sometimes she will even stand on the ducks when they are diving and drown on purpose. But that's what it is all about is makin memories with man's best friend.

Hooty
01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I love reading story's about good bird dogs. I had a AFC-NFC trails (washout) black lab fully trained once. I just enjoyed watching him chase a driving wounded duck it could last for 5 to 10 minutes and it was a real joy to see him win the battle of wits. He is not with us anymore and I miss him a bunch, one of the smartest bird dogs I ever had or had the pleasure of hunting over.