PDA

View Full Version : battery question

redneckpunk
12-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Im looking for a "decent" deep cycle batt for my 12ft alum. It will mainly be for my trolling motor. I may in the future add a FF and simple bow and stern lights. The trolling motor would prob be used for one day outtings on the lakes and only when the 15HP main isnt slow enough. Ive been looking at the 27DC-6 and 24DC-6 at Walmart. Both will fit not only the batt box I have but also my budget. Anyone had any experience with these batts? or any suggestions of similar batts at similar $$$?

~RNP

AngelosPop
12-29-2011, 11:21 AM
RNP,

I was told years ago that there is only 2 or 3 battery makers left. More than likely, the battery you buy at costco is the same as the one at Wally World, and the same as a diehard. I've have 2 group 27 Wally World Batts in my ski boat and they seem fine. Also have WW batts in my vehicles. I usually change my batts @ 3 years whether they are weak or not.

I have used Costco batts as well with just as good results.

Best thing anybody can to is buy a good 3-stage battery charger, and leave it plugged in 24/7, check the water once a month.....

redneckpunk
12-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks AP. Kind of figured that was the case. When I bought a new batt from a "battery dealer" for my Harley last year I was told I had 2 choices; made and assembled in China or made in China and assembled in the USA. Only difference was the label and about $30.

AnglingWes
12-29-2011, 01:10 PM
I have 4 year old Wally World batteries in my boat. They will last for many years if properly maintained. Spend a few bucks and get a good Charger/ Maintainer. Good single bank chargers start around $80. Minn Kota and Guest make great units. There are other good brands as well.

Fishmeister
12-29-2011, 02:17 PM
+1 on the good 3 stage as the most important part of battery maintenance. Get an AGM and you don't have to worry about water. I have used many brands Wally worlds, sears, Trojan and the battery that lasted the longest both in life expectancy and run time came from Wally World.

ReelJerks
12-30-2011, 06:09 AM
Good suggestions here. Batteries are ONLY storage/delivery devices therefor your main concern should be ah (amp hours). A good rule of thumb is add all the demand and double it, then look for a battery with that much storage.

Edd

Reel Fun
12-30-2011, 08:30 AM
I have 2 grp 30 Trojans (130 amp hr) and I can run my 70 pound thrust Minn Kota 24 vt at or near full throttle for about 6hrs & troll slow 1-2mph all day!!! Like others have said the most important thing to battery life is getting a charger/maintainer and leave it plugged in 24/7. I even went out and bought one for my Honda atv battery so I don't have to buy a new one every 15 months.

RF

ReelJerks
12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
I have 2 grp 30 Trojans (130 amp hr) and I can run my 70 pound thrust Minn Kota 24 vt at or near full throttle for about 6hrs & troll slow 1-2mph all day!!! Like others have said the most important thing to battery life is getting a charger/maintainer and leave it plugged in 24/7. I even went out and bought one for my Honda atv battery so I don't have to buy a new one every 15 months.

RF

I believe your current draw is about 42 amps and 2 12v batteries wired in series to give you 24 volts still has ONLY the capacity of one of those batteries, so 130 amp hours. 130 amp hours divided by max draw of 42 amps would give you about 3+/- hours at or near full throttle. What model Minn Kota do you have? I have considered this for trolling, and also for helping steer in very windy conditions. Your Minn Kota model would be worth it!

Edd

CRABBY
12-30-2011, 12:46 PM
I believe your current draw is about 42 amps and 2 12v batteries wired in series to give you 24 volts still has ONLY the capacity of one of those batteries, so 130 amp hours. 130 amp hours divided by max draw of 42 amps would give you about 3+/- hours at or near full throttle. What model Minn Kota do you have? I have considered this for trolling, and also for helping steer in very windy conditions. Your Minn Kota model would be worth it!

EddEdd your #s pretty much match what my batt.'s will do,which are interstates g-27 160 RC,trolling motor is minn kota PD 70(70 lbs thrust),at or near full throttle about 3.5 hrs,weight of boat an gear about 2800/3000 lbs inc.some fuel......Don

Reel Fun
12-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I have the Riptide 70 and I trolled last weekend for stripers @ 2.5 or so which on my boat is 6-7 on the power scale. Toward the end of trolling I did have to go up to 8 & 9 to keep the 2.5mph. I was told by Minn Kota that they list it at .75 amp per lb of thrust at full throttle but that it was actually a little less than that? So at 7-8 its maybe a 30 amp draw or so? I also tried it out near the end of Kokanee season at Berryessa and at 1.2-1.5 it ran the whole day from 6am til 3 or so? With that I Pilot it the best thing since sliced bread!! In those sloughs early in the morning trolling without a gas kicker motor thumping...the stripers were not spooked one bit and once we hooked up I slowed down the speed to assist in landing the fish.....that I Pilot is the best thing on my boat!!

RF

Reel Fun
12-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Edd your #s pretty much match what my batt.'s will do,which are interstates g-27 160 RC,trolling motor is minn kota PD 70(70 lbs thrust),at or near full throttle about 3.5 hrs,weight of boat an gear about 2800/3000 lbs inc.some fuel......Don

Don.....Interstate rates their (2) deep cycle 27's at 100 amp/hr for the better one and a little less for the other one. They don't give an actual amp/hr number but they give a discharge rate and it looks as if its about 100 on the one and less on the other as they only list 2 grp 27 deep cycle batteries? I do not know much on this deal but I trusted Doc to lead me to the right battery for me. I could have got a bigger better Trojan but the weight became a factor in the bow as these suckers are like 70+ lbs each...toss in a heavy charger/maintainer and the motor itself all on the bow....its near if not over 200lbs!! So far its worked perfect....I see Minn Kots has already made a new and improved I Pilot!! I wish I would have known this because I would have waited but oh well no biggie.

RF

Reel Fun
12-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Oppps I just saw Don where you say they are 160 rc batteries....those are the smaller of the 2 listed on their website which appears as if they are a little lower than 100 amp/hr batteries? After all my fact gathering I learned I needed a bare minimum of 100 amp/hr batteries....and 130 was what I settled on.

RF

ReelJerks
12-31-2011, 06:05 PM
I have the Riptide 70 and I trolled last weekend for stripers @ 2.5 or so which on my boat is 6-7 on the power scale. Toward the end of trolling I did have to go up to 8 & 9 to keep the 2.5mph. I was told by Minn Kota that they list it at .75 amp per lb of thrust at full throttle but that it was actually a little less than that? So at 7-8 its maybe a 30 amp draw or so? I also tried it out near the end of Kokanee season at Berryessa and at 1.2-1.5 it ran the whole day from 6am til 3 or so? With that I Pilot it the best thing since sliced bread!! In those sloughs early in the morning trolling without a gas kicker motor thumping...the stripers were not spooked one bit and once we hooked up I slowed down the speed to assist in landing the fish.....that I Pilot is the best thing on my boat!!

RF

I am thinking about something like that motor to help in very windy conditions. Do you think it would work on my pontoon?

CRABBY
12-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Oppps I just saw Don where you say they are 160 rc batteries....those are the smaller of the 2 listed on their website which appears as if they are a little lower than 100 amp/hr batteries? After all my fact gathering I learned I needed a bare minimum of 100 amp/hr batteries....and 130 was what I settled on.

RFThanks I gotta go ck this out...Don

CRABBY
12-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Yep your right Ronnie interstate only gives the RC rating,I'm not sure how to convert the whole mess,time to talk to Chris..Don

Reel Fun
12-31-2011, 06:27 PM
If you troll for any lake species this item (I Pilot) is a must!!! I know they are spendy....but its the single most valuble thing on my boat besides the boat!! Early in the Kokanee season when the kokanee are shallow having an electric is gonna allow more fish to the boat....not to mention the other hundred things its good for....in current it has an anchor "spot lock" to keep you in one place. It records tracks up to 3 tracks up to 3 miles long each. Auto Pilot keeps you on a strait path when selected it has cruise control to hold a desired speed and if the wind kicks up.......well lets just say you no longer have to troll only one direction. You can use the kicker to extend battery life and just run the bow on low to steer only? I have already caught Kokanee,Trout,LandLocked Kings & Stripers on the troll with it so far. Jigging for Stripers with the spot lock is the next thing....and its a saltwater version so Halibuts lookout in 2012!!

RF

Reel Fun
12-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Yep your right Ronnie interstate only gives the RC rating,I'm not sure how to convert the whole mess,time to talk to Chris..Don

At the top of their website it gives a semi conversion do hickey thing? Its on one of the tabs? The ratings have something to do with a cranking/deep cycle & a true deep cycle only battery?

Amp Hour (Ah or ah):

A unit of measure for a battery’s storage capacity obtained by the amount of amps a battery can be discharged (typically 1.75vpc) multiplied by the amount of hours @ 80F (26.7C) . Most auto/marine and light truck batteries are tested at a 20-hour discharge rate. Example: A 12-volt 100ah rated marine battery means that 5 amps can be discharged for 20 hours at 80°F (26.7C) before falling below 10.5 volts (6 cells X 1.75v)

Below is the link to see your batteries specs....Your battery is the srm 27....and is rated at 17 hrs @ 5amps which according to the chart is less than a 100 amp/hr battery because it is 20hr @ a 5amp load? I think?

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

RF

CRABBY
12-31-2011, 08:04 PM
At the top of their website it gives a semi conversion do hickey thing? Its on one of the tabs? The ratings have something to do with a cranking/deep cycle & a true deep cycle only battery?

Amp Hour (Ah or ah):

A unit of measure for a battery’s storage capacity obtained by the amount of amps a battery can be discharged (typically 1.75vpc) multiplied by the amount of hours @ 80F (26.7C) . Most auto/marine and light truck batteries are tested at a 20-hour discharge rate. Example: A 12-volt 100ah rated marine battery means that 5 amps can be discharged for 20 hours at 80°F (26.7C) before falling below 10.5 volts (6 cells X 1.75v)

Below is the link to see your batteries specs....Your battery is the srm 27....and is rated at 17 hrs @ 5amps which according to the chart is less than a 100 amp/hr battery because it is 20hr @ a 5amp load? I think?

Interstate Batteries (http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp)

RFYeah been there looking at that,theres another page that gives AH rating per part # 145 is the lowest,I have no idea if it's my batt or not as there s no part # on the batt's.LOL an I was an interstate dealer,also looked at Doc's advice an it was so so :confused2:.Well I have 2 that are 3 yr's old an 2 that are 2 years old,we'll see how long they last, my first set from 06 worked 3 years in boat an has been in motor home since,they aren't great but still work,LOL..Don

Reel Fun
01-01-2012, 07:50 PM
I was out today and I watched the clock today.....we trolled for over 4 hrs on high (7-8 out of 10 power) and it never acted like it was tired? I know I could have gone another couple of hrs or so? My boat is simular in size weight to yours Don. I even ran the advanced auto pilot funtion and it was sweet!! I am impressed with the Trojans so far? If they will just last 2 1/2 - 3 yrs? We will see?

RF

ReelJerks
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
I am not trying to start any type of argument in this thread, but, I firmly believe that if you need to purchase a marine battery or electrical marine appliance, it will behoove you to understand 12/24 volt electricity. Remembering that Interstate is there to sell you batteries and Minn Kota is out there to sell you trolling motors, you can consider their advice somewhat bias.

'The Fisherman's Electrical Manual' by John C. Payne
'The Marine Electrical and Electronics Bible' by John C. Payne
'Managing 12 Volts' by Harold Barre
'Boatowner's Illustrated Handbook Of Wiring' by Charlie Wing

You will save lots of money in the long term if you obtain 1 or all of these books, (or any of the hundreds of other books on the same subject) prior to doing any electrical work on your boat. They will all help you understand basic principles in 12/24 volt marine electrical system. Understand batteries is essential to enjoying a days fishing or boating.

The four books I mention are easy to read and understand with lots of reference and diagrams/pictures. John Payne is considered by most in the industry to be a Marine Electrical Saint.

Safe boating to all,
Edd

Reel Fun
01-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Those sound like good books for sure.....However for me, I just asked advice on what batteries to get from other anglers who have had several different brand/size batteries. I learned alot about amp/hr ratings & "true" deep cycle etc.....I am very sure I got the best setup for my boat? I could have got the 101 lb thrust 36 vt model with 3 batteries and I am sure been even happier with the performance..... but size/weight played a huge role in my decision. The 70 lb I Pilot Riptide was the one for me and I knew it's performance was all gonna depend on which batteries I used. Minn Kots said to use a "minimum" 100 amp/hr.....after a couple long discusions with a couple knowledgable people I settled on Trojan sc225's (130 amp/hr). I wired them myself and also installed a Minn Kota 2 bank chrger myself. As I stated before...I am very happy so far!! I think the only thing that will change that at this point is short battery life? That motor pulls my heavy 19 1/2 ft North River with 3 guys inside over 3mph top speed!! This upcoming Kokanee season will be a blast...as this is the main reason I bought this setup. I know everyone has an opinion on which brand/size battery is the best....I have only limited experience....so if anyone ask me I will reccomend what has worked for me.

RF

CRABBY
01-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info on the books Edd,as for buying them I doubt I will,to cheap I guess plus I/we have you!!!:banana:
What ever those stupid interstates put out up to this point I've been happy with,as I stated before usually trolling for kokes they troll all day using the auto an co pilot,only at top speed does it seem to eat em up,top speed on my crestliner is about 5+mph on GPS.
Well bottom line is they seem to work an I always carry an extra set just in case.
As Ronnie said it puts a lot a weight on the bow 4 batt's, motor,charger,anchor,+all the other extra stuff is put up there to get it out of the way I'm probable plowing water pretty bad,LOL....also sounds like I need to get an I pilot installed,will ck.on em....Don

ReelJerks
01-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Amp Hour (Ah or ah):

RF

and the math tells us that a 36 amp draw will give you what? Another thing you mentioned RF was the weight. Battery weight is a DIRECT reflection of size and lead (plates). What cost and warranty on the bats you got? I have a 12v 200 ah deep cycle battery for all my accessories (not a marine battery) which has served me well for 4 years. Purchase price was about $118 with a standard battery warranty over the 4 year life span. Since I am over 4 years with this bat I guess I have no more warranty.....oh well. People should not get sucked into a MARINE battery. MARINE batteries generally are a hybrid of cranking and deep cycle for general use on a boat...you know, better than straight cranking but not as great as pure deep cycle.
I think we are all happy if we get 3 to 4 years from our batteries on board, and I hope this setup works well for you. It is the cheapest way to get an AP on the boat and I think it would be perfect for steering the BOX. Just hard for me to pull the trigger on $1500+/-. Would you stay in touch with me on this? If you can get 8 to 10 hours from a single 12v I am very interested. Heck excited!

Edd

ReelJerks
01-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info on the books Edd,as for buying them I doubt I will,to cheap I guess plus I/we have you!!!:banana:
What ever those stupid interstates put out up to this point I've been happy with,as I stated before usually trolling for kokes they troll all day using the auto an co pilot,only at top speed does it seem to eat em up,top speed on my crestliner is about 5+mph on GPS.
Well bottom line is they seem to work an I always carry an extra set just in case.
As Ronnie said it puts a lot a weight on the bow 4 batt's, motor,charger,anchor,+all the other extra stuff is put up there to get it out of the way I'm probable plowing water pretty bad,LOL....also sounds like I need to get an I pilot installed,will ck.on em....Don

Don what do you think about using that Minn Kota with I-Pilot for steering and AP only? Propulsion could come from my main. It beats full out AP's price wise. Does the I-Pilot have the capability to use the routes in my HDS?

Dang I hate spending money.

Edd

CRABBY
01-02-2012, 12:25 PM
+ 1 on the so called marine batt's,even I knew that much..:cheeky-smiley-006:....Don

CRABBY
01-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Edd all I have at this time is auto pilot an co pilot,the co pilot is great,the auto pilot will generally keep your boat in the direction you aim it an adjusting for some wind an currant,I tried using the kota to steer the boat while running the gas kicker an it didn't work to well,the skeg is to small,many attach a larger skeg which would give you more control,theres some old posts here on it an some on the hooker.
What does work ok is using the AP kota as a bow thruster when pushing with a gas kicker ya just leave the kota on a very low speed an auto pilot on
Kota an Lowrance last i heard are not friendly,only HB works....Don

ReelJerks
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks Don and RF. I was afraid it wasn't going to be rosie for me.

Happy New Year

Edd

Reel Fun
01-02-2012, 03:57 PM
WOW Ed!!! A 200 amp/hr battery!!! Thats huge!! And @ $118 ea. My Trojans were like $160 ea and that was an internet deal strait from Trojan with a will call pickup at a local distributor. And they only are 130 amp/hr rated. I think any motor above 50-60 lbs will be 24 vt? I was not expecting a top speed high enough to troll for Stipers (deep diving lures) and I was suprised to see it do it and do it well!! The stealth of a electric is a huge advantage when trolling for them as well as early season kokanee/trout etc. The 2 batteries & motor in the bow actually helped it handle a bit better!!! I think the technology from Minn Kota on these newer bow mounted electrics also contribute to longer battery life? They tought the advancements in technology that they use and the benifits from it. When it comes to fishing in the wind with a boat like mine the bow mount is reaaly needed!! Turning against the wind with the top up & sides on is not gonna happen unless you have a bow mount because the rear kicker can only turn so much at 1.5-2 mph. Lots of uses for the bow mount....I have already enjoyed it on the lakes.....on the delta...and soon in the salt (bay halibut).....I reccomend this thing to all my buddies!!!

RF

AngelosPop
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM

Kinda figured it mean't "reserve capacity" had to go to Interstate and give it a look. Their features & specs chart had (min) added. Which means how many mintues with the battery run a 25amp load..............

I have never liked Interstate batteries. To me they were always a "emergency" battery, as you only saw them for sale in places that you'd buy a battery in a emergency, Marina office, boatyard, sevice center, etc. Other than that they sat on those little "Interstate" displays waiting for the driver to come change them out and the driver probably wiped the dust off and put it on the display of another dealer without charging.

If you've had good luck with them good for you!

AngelosPop
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info on the books Edd,as for buying them I doubt I will

Even I said there are formulas :rolleyes2: I don't use them very much though. Weekend warriors/DIYer's usually love numbers and formulas. In real life I like experience and what I know works :) Best of all my gut instinct :)

What I get the biggest kick out of........ People will invest tons of money in the flashy things for their boats, lets take fishing, how many people that fish regularly have hundreds if not thousands in tackle and rod's and reel's? Yet when it comes to doing something correct on your boat that won't be seen, people squeek like a old hinge, and want to do it cheap.

If ya want to run your boat off a trolling motor instead of a kicker, well, you can't worry about the weight of the batteries, unless you want to run out of power. If you have 200AH of battery storage and you want run your 50A motor for 8hrs you need more batt's :) Period!

I will say this again. Get a battery monitor if you want the most life out of your batteries. You don't drive your car around without a fuel guage do ya :) At the very least get a digital dash mounted Volt meter. Once it get's to 10.5-10.6 volts, your at your batteries maximum safe discharge, and the batteries need to be filled back up. Just like a car gas tank, you have to put the A/Hr's back in that you take out. If you used your boat everyday, and let's say you remove 200a/hr's out of your 200a/Hr bank you go home, plug it into a 2A trickle charger for 12hrs, while your batteries might show good voltage, you haven't replaced all of what you took out.

There is so much that a person could sit here and type on, it'll make your head spin.

I already need a :beer_2:

AngelosPop
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
WOW Ed!!! A 200 amp/hr battery!!! Thats huge!! And @ $118 ea.

I'd like to know that as well?????? If I remember right an 8d has around that storage. and they are usually $3-400.........

CRABBY
01-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Chris,what you say is true somewhat about interstate,I should also add my satisfaction with them was due in large part to there price,I paid dealer cost,if I had paid full price It would be a diff. story.
We had a LOT of Batt's go bad while being used in trailers an MH's an very few in cars or trucks,keep in mine that vehicles charge batt's every time you use them so they may seem ok to the average user because the vehicle starts fine,but cranking a motor over for 1.5 sec.to start is no test as to the batt's cond,unlike so called marine/rv deep cycle batt's which have to perform at max all the time,which explains there hi fail rate.LOL,think I just realized this as I typed it or never cared much about it.
Edd keep your eyes open there are some good deals that come up on used like new kotas.........Don

AngelosPop
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Chris,what you say is true somewhat about interstate,I should also add my satisfaction with them was due in large part to there price,I paid dealer cost,if I had paid full price It would be a diff. story.
We had a LOT of Batt's go bad while being used in trailers an MH's an very few in cars or trucks,keep in mine that vehicles charge batt's every time you use them so they may seem ok to the average user because the vehicle starts fine,but cranking a motor over for 1.5 sec.to start is no test as to the batt's cond,unlike so called marine/rv deep cycle batt's which have to perform at max all the time,which explains there hi fail rate.LOL,think I just realized this as I typed it or never cared much about it.
Edd keep your eyes open there are some good deals that come up on used like new kotas.........Don

Don,

I had more typed out. But figured I should stop where I did. Their failure rate that I've seen over the years & then you add in their retail cost....... They were never worth it to me.........

ReelJerks
01-03-2012, 08:30 AM
The Powerstride battery I have is not offered any longer. The closest is a 220 ah 12v bat for $319. Oh well......the cost of our toys.

Edd

AngelosPop
01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Mr Edd,

You peaked my interest when you spoke of your battery.......... For a moment :( I have a job coming up where I thought I might be able to use them), but nope.

The battery you have is a very odd ball battery by my standards. At 14 7/8"T X 15 5/8"W X 7 1/8" deep. I have never seen a battery box for a battery that size, let alone most smaller boats (you are recommending them for) do not have a battery compartment/storage area 15" tall.

I just remembered the other trolling motor thread where you spoke of this battery and talked down my advice of using golf cart batteries.

Let's start with the golf cart battery scenario. They are 6v 220 ah batteries so it would take two for a 12v trolling motor and you still only have 220 ah of storage. And they are heavy. You can get 2 12v bats with 200 ah of storage and that would give you about double the storage.

I would take it that you didn't install / pick up the batteries on your boat? You spoke of golf cart batteries as being heavy......... Your battery specs at 120lbs :signs703jx: each. Compared to a golf cart that's around 60lbs. After years of lifting stupid things screwing my back up, I'd much rather move 2/ 60lb items than 1/ 120lb item. As well as having pre-made battery boxes available.

Then you look at cost...... $320 for 220A/hr vs. around $100 x 2 = $200 for 220 A/hr golf carts. When you got them cheap, good for you!

Finally, while some things appear on the surface to be a better mouse trap, they aren't. Realistically you need "X" amount of lead to create "X" amounts of A/hrs.

Personally I'd rather use golf cart batteries that are available anywhere, vs. a odd ball battery that is not very common.

ReelJerks
01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Mr Edd,

The battery you have is a very odd ball battery by my standards. At 14 7/8"T X 15 5/8"W X 7 1/8" deep. I have never seen a battery box for a battery that size, let alone most smaller boats (you are recommending them for) do not have a battery compartment/storage area 15" tall.

Not sure where you obtained any of your information, but, that is not the size of my battery and I'm not recommending my battery to anyone. Suggest you go back and re-read my post above where it says my battery is not available any longer. It also says my battery is 4 years old....;well progress I guess.

CRABBY
01-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Looked around on google for about 1.5 hr's lookin at batt.crap an I learned a little about all the batt's being talked about here for boat use,all I can fig.is that look for hi RC amps,100 AH min,an highest weight,those 3 things may get you a decent batt.an will change year to year or sooner,the manufactures build them to the specs supplied by the buyers,whether it be sears, napa,interstate,etc,so one year napas are great the next year it might be wal mart,you can use the 3 items I mentioned to hopefully pick the best one.
I was only looking at marine batt's,which are referred to as deep cycle but are not TRUE deep cycles.
That's my 2 cents.
Now back to Chris an Edd,LOL..........Don

AngelosPop
01-03-2012, 12:19 PM
You said the closest battery to yours is 220A/hr for $319....... Right? "The closest is a 220 ah 12v bat for $319". You go to their web site and this is the only battery I found matching the description : US 185HC XC - 12 Volt Industrial Battery (http://www.powerstridebattery.com/us-185hc-xc-12-volt-industrial-battery)

Then you google the part number and it takes you to US battery which supposubly makes them for Powerstride and you find the weight by going down the page and looking for the part number: http://www.usbattery.com/usb_images/usb_scrub_fly_3a_08.pdf

If these links are not the closest to yours, then please post the link that is, I'd like to see it.

Not recommending? maybe I am missing something????????? :
http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/styles/TimeTraveler/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by ReelJerks http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/styles/TimeTraveler/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.fishsniffer.com/boats-motors-gear/93813-outboard-mounted-electric-trolling-motors.html#post845950)
Let's start with the golf cart battery scenario. They are 6v 220 ah batteries so it would take two for a 12v trolling motor and you still only have 220 ah of storage. And they are heavy. You can get 2 12v bats with 200 ah of storage and that would give you about double the storage.

I am almost willing to bet that you got Reserve Minutes and A/hrs mixed up when you bought you batts...........

AngelosPop
01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Now back to Chris an Edd,LOL..........Don

Haha that's the truth! I am about done. I try to post advice that's simple and anybody can understand (layman's terms), I don't like to use big words to make myself sound smart either. Too many times, you have arm chair (google) quaterbacks that post junk info trying to look smart, but it makes many people confused, because on forums you have many lurkers and newbies and if they read it on the net then by golly it's law!

CRABBY
01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Alright I'm going back to what I was doing,you guys be nice to ea. other.:party:......Don

ReelJerks
01-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Wow, this thread has really gone sideways. I don't think there is anything more for me to say.

Edd

AngelosPop
01-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I'd like to see you post a link to the battery that you were referring to that's closest to yours??????? I searched the whole site and the only battery that was 12V, 220A/Hr, & $319 was the link(s) I posted.

You made it sound like you have some magical battery in this post:
"Let's start with the golf cart battery scenario. They are 6v 220 ah batteries so it would take two for a 12v trolling motor and you still only have 220 ah of storage. And they are heavy. You can get 2 12v bats with 200 ah of storage and that would give you about double the storage."

I'd like to see them.....

I might have a use for them in my personal life as well as what I do for a living.

PS : Not trying to make this thread go sideways. The thread subject is "battery question" and we're still talking batteries??????

CRABBY
01-03-2012, 04:08 PM
OK kids here is a site that I believe will answer some Q's on batt's if you guys think it's a good one we'll sticky it for the future,it is a lot of info but can be skimmed quickly.>>>>>>>>Chris Edd has no way of proving anything an you have no way of disproving anything.
Edd got his batt.4+ years ago his price was ABOUT 118 it was not a marine batt.Well 4years ago is a long time,stuff changes,especially batt.prices,as a interstate dealer those things have gone up 35/40% in that time for marine batt's.the g27's I got in 06 were 56.95 ea.same batt today is about 80 something(don't have the newest list in front of me)an those are dealer costs,retail is outrageous.
Here is the batt.site I spoke of Deep Cycle Battery FAQ (http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Amp-Hour%20Capacity)

Reel Fun
01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I searched the world over when I bought my batteries about 3-4 months ago!! I asked alot of anglers both novice & proffessional about which one to buy....I finally came to rest on Trojan. Even though some said they were crap....I found thwm for like $160 (no sales tax) the next best price was around $230 ea!! I looked at every place from batteries plus...to big hog batteries looking at warranty/amp hrs/size/cost/weight/performance etc...I was told 6vt batteries would last longer....but I needed 24vt not 12 and that would have meant 4 batteries and that was a no go!! So I learned alot and I believe that all batteries are very close in performance til you get into the "royce class" I think was the name??? but they were like $300-400 each!!! I think I got the best bang for my buck???

RF

Jfitalia
01-07-2012, 04:05 PM
ok way to much number talk for me.... Lets get away from all the technical stuff and just answer the original question and mine in simple words for me to understand.

My question is that I need to get a deep cycle battery. I have a 14.5 ft and will use it for my depth finder and trolling motor. Now listening to what Don said I should stay away from the Marine Deep cycle batteries? My brother in law works for Pep Boys and they have a marine dual purpose deep cycle for $124.00 and I get a nice discount but I was wondering if that wont be good enough? I WILL NOT be spending $300 for a battery at this point in time.

AnglingWes
01-07-2012, 05:04 PM
My brother in law works for Pep Boys and they have a marine dual purpose deep cycle for $124.00 and I get a nice discount but I was wondering if that wont be good enough?

It will be fine. Your setup is very common, and many others have no issues with a dual purpose batt for the TM and FF.

The only minor concern I would mention when running the FF and TM on the same batt is that the TM can create voltage spikes when it is turned on and off that can potentially affect the FF. Just make sure that you secure the ground wires on the TM and FF securely to the batt and check the connection once or twice when fishing. The problem with spiking increases as the battery voltage is drained.

AngelosPop
01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Marine Deep cycle is fine. Stay away from the dual purpose.

Marine deep cycle will get you more charge/discharge uses. Will likely have a bit more amp hour storage as well.

Dual purpose, will get you less charge/discharge uses.

What group # batt is it for $124? $124 seems quite high? I'd check Costco and Wally World as well.

Although, your BIL might be able to get you around the mandatory core charge now. I used to buy from Costco once in a while, because they didn't have a core charge, but all that's changed now. Doing new installs like what your doing, you don't have a battery to give them back, so you loose $5-10 they charge you for core.......

A battery/ any battery is only as good as you take care of it. Like I said in post number 2, get a good name brand 3 stage battery charger and leave it plugged in 24/7.

AngelosPop
01-07-2012, 05:14 PM
I'll agree with Wes as well! Especially since you said you didn't want to get into numbers :)

Bottom line is my last sentance below. Just take good care of whatever you get and it will take good care of you.

CRABBY
01-07-2012, 06:03 PM
J just get a group 27 deep cycle marine batt.look at Amp.hr.'s rating an weight of batt.also warr. compare notes if they are close get the cheapest.Prob.will be wally world,costco,I can get you an interstate but there #s seem low to me although they do work so far.....Don

ibanezax
02-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I have a 30# minnkota trolling motor and a wal-mart deep cycle battery, I use it on my 14' alum deep v boat,my main motor is a 15 hp. Total cost 160.00, bought the motor "new second hand never been in the water" from a guy on craigslist, the battery came from my tent trailer. The battery is up front and the motor was "reversed" so I could mount it up front also. I fly fish alot so I wanted to stand at the bow and cast. This set up works for me, hope this helps you!

Loop_Dad
05-11-2012, 02:47 PM
I have 4 year old Wally World batteries in my boat. They will last for many years if properly maintained. Spend a few bucks and get a good Charger/ Maintainer. Good single bank chargers start around $80. Minn Kota and Guest make great units. There are other good brands as well.

Hello,

What are other good battery charger brands?

Thanks!