PDA

View Full Version : Pismo Beach Perch'n

BASNFAN
04-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi Guys, I am leaving Saturday for a week at Pismo Beach and hope to get at least two days on the beach in my waders. Does anybody know how the bite has been? I usually use grubs or Gulp Sandworms but I am thinking of taking some additional gear to try some bait. Would I likely catch something other than perch that way? Anybody else going to be down there next week?
BASNFAN :D

office_pirate79
04-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I was in Pismo last week for my GF's b-day and we saw a few folks fishing off the pier (night/day)....no one in the surf. I only saw one guy with a couple of perch...nothing too big. A couple of guys were throwing sliding sinker setups (like a trout rig) with a piece of cheese and a worm. I've never seen this before and I can't imagine it would be productive. Saw another guy with big a$$ mackerel head on what seemed to be too small of a hook :-? I talked to one guy who said that you can nail rock fish all day down by the cliffs just north of the Pismo Beach. I say take some pile worms along with you and see what's doing.

levelwined
04-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I use to live pretty close to there and yes go for Rock fish!! If you find some nice kelp and rocks. Use chovies squid pile ect. and you hit it right you can get into some nice cabs grass rock fish calico bass ect. or if you do it right the buts are a possiable..

Kid_Dynamite
04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
the sliding sinker setup is the way to go....it is the most productive for me....if they are there you are gonna catch perch no matter what on this setup...but the key is that they got to be there ;)

BASNFAN
04-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys. :) I will report after we get back.
BASNFAN

catfished
04-27-2007, 06:37 AM
I hope you really slam them this time. [smiley=fishing5.gif] Looking forward to your report when you return.

fishingrick57
04-27-2007, 06:50 AM
I was down at oceano dunes which is just north of pismo last weekend and I fished the surf with a sliding egg sinker set up and small hooks with good ol shrimp. The perch love it out there. Every cast had fish on.
Didnt get to try up north more by the rocky cliffs, but it looks promising for rock fish. Good luck

office_pirate79
04-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, looks like I just got schooled on the sliding sinker setup! I tripped on it because I've never seen it before here in the Bay Area. It's always a hi/lo with 2-3 hooks...typical stuff. I'll have to give the slider rig a try next time I'm out :). Best of luck to ya BASNFAN. I'll be looking for your report too!