PDA

View Full Version : Dropper loop

scfisher831
04-17-2007, 09:46 PM
I've been practincing this dropper loop by Grogs fishing knots.Has any body tried this drooper loop?Is it strong and reliable.I'm tieing up 25# leaders to use for rockies.I will run a shrimp fly on dropper loop knot and a metal jig on the bottom for lings?anybody have luck this way or any feed back?I think its cheaper to make my own. ;)

dimpala95
04-17-2007, 10:10 PM
I use dropper loops for hoochies when fishing for halibut. Never had one fail but I'm using #50 line.

fishenrick
04-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Like Dimpala I also use 50lb, I use it cause of the abrasive teeth and rocks when you are rock fishing, never had the drooper loop fail or even just the double loop not. You might want to go to 50lb test, lings have some nasty teeth and the rocks will take a toll on your line.

keciga1
04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the shrimp fly. Just use the jig. It will catch bigger fish and weed through the small ones. The bigger the better.

Ivan

fishenrick
04-17-2007, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the shrimp fly. Just use the jig. It will catch bigger fish and weed through the small ones. The bigger the better.

Ivan
Exactly, I run either big grubs or scampis or swim baits off of my drooper loops, two is all you can have. I like to try different colors.

gmdcdvm
04-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Dropper loops work well for rock cod, but like Ivan said bigger baits generally equals bigger fish. If you want a quick limit then shrimp flies are the way to go, but you'll get some smaller fish.

I actually bought some P-line Rock Cod Squid rigs: similar to the shrimp flies, but with two plastic squid instead of the flies. Can't wait to try them out this year, but people who used them last year said they worked well for rock fish and ling cod.
G

GCinGV
04-18-2007, 07:23 AM
All good advise.
Another way is to make up a single with an iron bar or large Scampi jig (lead head) on the bottom for the weight with one fly, whole Squid, baitfish or rubber on top. Lots of combinations and its kind of fun trying different ones.
GC

office_pirate79
04-18-2007, 08:24 AM
El Jefe...I just checked out those squid rigs on the P-Line site and they look saucy! Do you use any scent with those and what size weight on the bottom? Would they work from shore in the rocky areas? Also, what color would be appropriate for the bay? I don't get out on a boat too often and I know that some decent rock fish can be had from jetties and the like.

donzitroller
04-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Lings eat chain links.. without scent.. if ya got it and it gives you confidence, then by all means use it! I've got a big bottle of squid gel that I use for lings.. this year I'm running an 8 oz. lead head with a giant Tora tube and scampi combo off a 3 way, then a sand dab rig.. all about the doubles this year! It's gonna happen, I can feel it!

sunracer1957
04-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I've ran the shrimp flies above my bottom set up for lings last year and it netted me my biggest Vermillion also a few good sized Lings on the fly. The only problem with the set up is getting to the bottom :P This year I'm going to try a double bait set up with BIG bait and maybe this will keep the small Rockies at bay??

office_pirate79
04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Good point Donzi...I remember that thread about the chain link for lings. It blew my mind :o! I'm somewhat of a rookie to the saltwater game. I mean things other than hi/lo rigs with chovies or pile worms. So I'm just soakin' all in!

sunracer1957
04-18-2007, 09:06 AM
If you guys think Salmon will get you addicted to the salt wait till you Rock fish ;)

Donzi I think I remeber how it goes?? Oh yea

Fish On

Fish On

Fish On

Fish on and on and on and on!!!!!!

scfisher831
04-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info.I'm just learning how tie this dropper loop.I'm going to tie up some heavier leaders.When I fish the sandy spots for butts here in SC.I like to run one rod for butts with live bait and a second rod set for lings or rockies as at times you will drift over reefs that hold lings and rockies.Thats why decided to make some dropper loop rigs.I have a lot of old not used Johnny jigs from years back that were made out of yarn.Might as well use them up with a drooper loop rig and run a scampi,fishtrap,or a mega bait on the bottom.I have caught nice butts and and lings on fish traps.I have seen guys take nice sacks of rockies and lings useing this setup on the charter boats. ;)

Fish_R_Us
04-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I use this type of loop when tying my own 30 lb. mono leaders. I use a little saliva when cinching it tight. This knot will slip but using a little lube helps. My slip rate is approx. 5% of all loops tied. This way all of my hand-tied and tested leaders greatly increase my catch rate. Ditto for hand- tied snelled hooks. I just got tired of losing big fish to cheaply tied leaders and/or hooks that you purchase at the stores. My loops are double size of the ones shown on the diagrams. The good thing is there's no big deal if the knot slips. It will be secure when it tightens up to whatever you heve tied to it. You have alot less snags when rockfishing and also better feel on detecting bites. This knot is also known as a Nail Knot because it's alot easier to use a small 1-2" nail to spin multiple times before feeding the loop through.

scfisher831
04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Fish_R_Us,you said you use a nail when you spin the line before pulling it through the loop.Were do you attach the nail to spin the line?I hold the line were it crosses on both ends my fingers, then I twist it and pass it thru the loop and wet it sitch it down.Sometimes its hard to hold it and twist the line at the same time.Does your way make it easier?The website I got the how to do this knot ,says you can use a matchstick to do the twists?

gmdcdvm
04-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey office_pirate,
I haven't actually used them before. I saw them at Fred Hall in the HI's Tackle Box area. They said they were awesome last year for big rockies and lings so I figured why not. I always like looking into new tackle, gives me a reason to keep going back to the store :) (ie tackle ho).
I asked him about sent, and he said you could go either way. Given how aggressive lings can be I don't know if its necessary. As someone mentioned I too have caught some big lings on shrimp flies and those don't come sented out of the package either.
G

dreamfly
04-18-2007, 10:43 PM
I have found (first accidental then thru experiment) the normal dropper loop to be quite weak. *I have since switched to the Kiwi Dropper loop:

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/plat_fishing_knots.html

Fish_R_Us
04-19-2007, 07:34 AM
scfisher831,
You make the first big loop with your fingers, then you place the nail 1/2 way through the crossover area, make about 7 spins around (while holding both ends), and then place your big loop thru the center where your nail is, remove the nail, pull enough line to form whatever size loop you desire, hold the knot area w/ teeth, and slowly pull both line ends until the knot snugs up. I usually tie 2 loops (high and low) with improved cinch knot loops at both ends, then test pull the whole assy. until tight. Describing the sequence is harder than watching somebody actually tying one. Sometimes I will just tie 2 hooks right onto the leader using the snell knot at each hook. Good Luck.

scfisher831
04-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Fish_R_Us...Thanx.I tired it with a match stick.It sure helped and will try a nail too same concept.I also tried the kiwi blood knot that Dreamfly posted.Very easy and very strong.Some of the regular Dropper loops I tried were breaking when testing them.I couldn't break that kiwi blood dropper knot though.Gotta keep practicing as rockie season goin to be here soon. [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Sin_Coast
04-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah, the dropper loop from Grogs website is much easier to tie if you use a stick, like suggested. I actually use a small stick with a diagnal slit in it so its easier to pull the loop back through the hole...just stick the loop in the diagnal slit and pull it through and blamo! I can tie them in about 3 seconds now.
PK

SLOfisher
04-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Matchstick, nail, toothpick, anything that will keep the "gap" open makes it a lot easier to thread the ends back through.

And those P-line squid work great on rockies, and lings. I thread a small piece of foam rubber onto my leader, right up against the squid, and saturate it with scent.

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-24-2007, 03:19 PM
I hate to tell you guys this but the dropper loop knot is at best a 50% knot and I wasn't all that impressed with the Kiwi knot either as it wasn't much stronger.

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-25-2007, 07:15 AM
I should have added BUT!

There is an alternative that's easy to tie and runs 90 to 95% of the rated line strength.

Allen
04-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Interesting Jan....

So, for the rest of the story.......

What is the secret 90% strength knot you suggest?

Allen

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Seguar knot...Been right there in front of us all along and we didn't see it.

Allen
04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks much

Allen

mike22ca
04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Since everyone is on the subject of tying knots, I though this was a pretty cool site:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=ww w.animatedknots.com