PDA

View Full Version : Threading worms

Marv
01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Are you guys using a regular threader or do i need a smaller one for size #8 baitholder. I just massacare the wotms. Any help will be appreciated :)

ncreys
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
hey bassboy,
so i'm not sure what type of "regular threader" you are using and i'm assuming that you're threading night crawlers or earth worms, but the worm threader i use was bought at a fisherman's warehouse years ago; it's probably about 8" long or so with small wooden handle and a very thin hollow metal tube(fisherman's warehouse still sells them, i just recently saw one).

The hook i use is usually between a #6-#10 baitholder with a straight eye, not the angled ones. Also, i'm not sure what type of knot you're using but you might want to experiment with a few different ones. when threading worms, i will usually tie an improved-clinched knot or a palomar knot rather than a snell knot; the reason is because on most snell knots after the tag end gets trimmed it is facing towards the hook and this tag end will sometimes get all burgered-up when pushing the worm onto and through the hook. good luck.

buckman78
01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
all i can say is practice makes perfect. once you do it a few times, it will go really smoothly. i only use a threader when i am using a whole crawler. For trolling and smaller fish i use a half crawler, and i just thread it by hand. its just as quick for me.

just dont forget to leave a tail. that way it twirles in the current or behind a dodger.....

schatgun
01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
BassBoy,
The 2 replies ahead of me are right on....only thing I can add is make sure the threader tip is cut an angle for sharper & cleaner piercing of the worm. I have noticed some of the threaders these days don't cut the tip at an angle. I have ground some to a sharp angle if I couldn't find the pre-angled ones.

I go through lots of threaders (thnx to the kids) so I usually buy a couple at a time. Hope this helps.

C U guys on the water........

Marv
01-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks guy's!

dirty530
01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
i agree with buckman78. practice makes perfect. although i remember having little trouble with threading a worm on a hook, practice should help.

tips
* use fresh worms. once they heat up a little they tend to get mushy and hard to thread. the only time i've had trouble threading a worm is when they've been with me all day at the river exposed to hot summer air.

* i know some will disagree but try using a #6 Lazer Sharp steelhead/salmon hook (this is for trout, try using larger hooks for steelhead). they don't have any barbs on the hook shaft to hold the bait but they work perfectly. thread the worm and move it above the eye of the hook; this plus the barb at the bottom should keep your worm on the hook.

* try using a half of a large nightcrawler at a time. this will save bait and in my experience doesn't seem to get any less strikes than a whole crawler. if you have a few halves of night crawlers that are short, thread them all on at one time; works great.

* above all, i recommend using a san juan worm. this way you don't need to kill something to potentially kill another. i will be trying out san juan worms a lot next year vs real night crawlers; i've heard people having awesome results. the only way i see a real night crawler being more beneficial is because they can be inflated.