PDA

View Full Version : Salmon/Salmon parts for bait...

mike22ca
04-17-2007, 06:56 PM
So check it out guys. I was looking thru the 2007-2008 fishing regs. This is what I found pertaining to using salmon for bait:

4.20. Bait Fish Use in the valley and
South Central Districts.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish
shall not be used or possessed for use as bait
in the Valley or South Central District:
(a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow,
mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, and staghorn
sculpin, and dead threadfin shad, Mississippi
silverside and lamprey may be used in all Valley
and South Central District waters except those
listed in subsection (f) below.
(b) Red shiner may be used only in the Valley
District north of Interstate 580 and Highway
(c) Yellowfin gobies may be used in the
Valley District only in those areas described in
subsections (d)( )-(3) below.
(d) In addition, except for trout and salmon,
fin fish lawfully taken in the following waters by
angling or with bait fish methods approved in
Section 4.05 may be used only in the waters
where taken:
(1) Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their
tributaries and saltwater tributaries.
(2) Sacramento River and tidewater of
tributaries downstream from the Highway
32 bridge near Hamilton City, Feather River
downstream from the Oroville Hatchery Fish
Barrier Dam, Yuba River downstream from
Daguerre Point Dam, and American River
downstream from Nimbus Dam.
(3) San Joaquin River and tidewater of
tributaries downstream from Interstate 5
bridge.
(e) Live threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside
and lamprey may be used only at the location
where taken.
(f) Fin fish may not be used in Keller Lake
(Glenn Co.), Letts Lake (Colusa Co.), Merced
Lake (San Francisco Co.), Upper and Lower
Plaskett Meadow Ponds (Glenn Co.), Whale
Rock Reservoir (San Luis Obispo Co.).

So does that mean anything under the Carquinez is fair game to use salmon/salmon parts/trout for bait?

530hammer
04-17-2007, 07:36 PM
whats that mean i never seen all that :-?

Toxic_Waste
04-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Beats me...I guess if I wanted to sit here and poke my brain into overdrive I could figure it out, but those regs just keep going on and on and on with legal mumbo-jumbo. I know people try like hell to make sure they aren't committing some evil criminal act while out trying to enjoy a day of fishing, but it's getting harder to avoid it.

I also know that regs (to a certain degree) are necessary to protect our fisheries, but I am really tired of feeling like I am "the bad guy" every time I dare to pick up a rod and reel. (Or if I keep a fish to eat instead of letting it go...*gasp*) >:(

ZACK
04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
The need IS great for DFG to dummy up the regs. I realize it is basically a law book and at this point I feel fortunate it is not written in Latin but with the current version it might as well be. :o

I have a decent understanding of it but would definitely appreciate a condensed version.
ZACK!

keciga1
04-17-2007, 08:12 PM
It is legal to use salmon parts because the carcuss are considered discards just like using salmon or tuna heads for crab bait.

Ivan

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
I use bellies and carcass parts like skin strips and partial heads for pacific halibut fishing all the time, those are legal.

mike22ca
04-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Jan/Ivan, thats what I was thinking too. Regardless if it was purchased and have a receipt or not.

Toxic_Waste
04-20-2007, 10:19 AM
A few months ago, I was given a stripped salmon carcass from a market, to use as crab bait. But the guy who gave it to me made it sound like he really wasn't supposed to be doing that. Since then, I have been curious about the regulations concerning such things. Thanks for this thread.

Hiking-Jay
04-20-2007, 10:43 AM
The reason why this is so confusing it that what mike22ca posted are FRESHWATER regs.

A quick search of the saltwater regulations yielded no restriction on the use of salmon or trout as bait. The only bait restriction I found is this:

27.10. Live Bait Restrictions.
Tilapia may not be used or possessed for use as bait in ocean waters.

Otherwise, you can use just about anything you want for bait as long as it meets the other regulations. For example, it's illegal to possess a halibut less than 22 inches. So obviously you can't keep a short halibut and throw it on a hook as bait. Likewise, it is illegal to possess Coho salmon, so it would be a bad idea to cut the belly out of one and use it for bait.

Also keep in mind that regardless of how you use a legal fish, it counts against your limit. So if you catch a legal chinook, and for some crazy reason you want to put a big hook in it and send it back down as shark bait, that chinook counts against your limit for the day.

ringnebula
04-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Now that it looks like we have the regs figured out I would like to ask - Does anyone other than Jan_from_Humboldt use salmon bits as bait for anything other than crab?

mike22ca
04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Good job Hiking_Jay! *

Yea I use salmon on the regular for sharks.

Hiking-Jay
04-20-2007, 11:48 AM
A feisty chinook is the only way to go for a big seven gill! ;D

Toxic_Waste
04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Hmmm...going back to using salmon as crab bait...I assume what the fish market guy meant was it isn't legal to use the carcass during the times when the salmon season is closed. A warden might have assumed that I caught that fish, although he would have been hard pressed to discover any fillets on board! (I purposely have no cooking facilities on the boat.) And who is gonna throw the fillets overboard and keep the bones/head?

mike22ca
04-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Saltwater is considered anything under the Carquinez and down right? Seems that way according to the regs. Just so we cover all bases here.

Hiking-Jay
04-20-2007, 01:36 PM
On the Sacramento, the Carquinez Bridge is the delineation of salt/fresh water. On other rivers leading into the bay, it's a little more vague and saltwater includes the portinons of those rivers, creeks, and streams which are affected by the tides. So, I have no idea where the delineation is on the Petaluma or the Napa. :P

From section 1.53 of the ocean regs (bold added by me):

"Inland waters exclude the waters of San Francisco and San Pablo bays downstream from the
Carquinez Bridge, the tidal portions of rivers and streams flowing into San Francisco and San
Pablo Bays, and the waters of Elkhorn Slough, west of Elkhorn Road between Castroville and
Watsonville."

In other words, these excluded waters are considered "ocean".

kromebrite
04-20-2007, 02:27 PM
So would the same regs apply to having to use fish from the same waters that you caught them in? Or could I catch a bunch of bluegill and use them for shark bait? So I could use a kokanee for shark bait?
Guess I'll go do some reading.......... ;)

Hiking-Jay
04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
From the freshwater regs... ;)

1.63. Movement of Live Fish.
Except as provided in sections 4.00 through 4.30 and 230, live fin fish may not be transported alive from the water where taken.

4.00. Bait-General.
Legally acquired and possessed invertebrates, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians (except salamanders), fish eggs and treated and processed foods may be used for bait, except:
(a) No species specified as endangered, threatened, candidate, fully-protected, or otherwise protected under state and federal law may be used as bait.
(b) No salamander may be used as bait. See section 5.05 for other amphibians that may be used as bait.
(c) See Section 5.35 for restrictions on crayfish;
(d) See Section 7.50(b)(74) for restriction on bait collecting in Hat Creek;
(e) No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat;
(f) Except for restrictions listed under special regulations, dead ocean fish may be used as bait statewide. This section supersedes the
provisions of sections 4.10, 4.15, 4.20, 4.25, and 4.30.

The 4.00 - 4.30 regs referenced cover area specific restrictions. So, depending upon where you are you might be able to transport blue gill, but you definitely gotta kill the kokanee because there are no exemptions for live kokanee. Either way, you can use them dead for bait in the ocean.

People always complain that the regs are confusing. I disagree. There are just a lot of them and they often depend upon where you are fishing. If you pay attention to where you are at and what kind of gear you are using, the regs seem pretty clear to me.

EastBayAngler
04-20-2007, 04:17 PM
So would the same regs apply to having to use fish from the same waters that you caught them in? Or could I catch a bunch of bluegill and use them for shark bait? So I could use a kokanee for shark bait?
Guess I'll go do some reading.......... ;)

I Dont think you will be able to transport bluegills into differant a body of water but surf perch work real well!!! ;)

kromebrite
04-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks, HJ. Nice of you to post those.
too windy this weekend, but "the crew" and I plan on sharkin' next weekend. Mr. H went out and bought a nice GPS system for the boat. Anyone have some "numbers" they would like to share for sharks? ;) ;D
We'll show you ours if you show us yours........... ::) ;)

EastBayAngler
04-20-2007, 05:09 PM
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2074/dogfishts0.jpg
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8771/leopqr0.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1936/1002433as5.jpg

Sharks are fun :D

kromebrite
04-20-2007, 06:03 PM
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/shark_fishing_September_05_003.jpg
Yes indeed!!!!! ;) 8-)
Can't wait to go hit 'em again.
SHARK SEASON 2007 HERE WE GO 8-)
(sorry for the hijacking, Mike ;) ;D)

mike22ca
04-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Shoot its already goin' ;). *2 solid trips in already so far. *Nuthin but fatty keepers

mike22ca
04-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Krome, did u see my report from last weekend? There's more then sharks to look at LOL

kromebrite
04-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Krome, did u see my report from last weekend? *There's more then sharks to look at LOL
I took off to Cabo for a few days last weekend so I missed all the reports. Yeah I'd say it's going on now. Was that her first shark experience? *I see you pulled them out of the usual areas ;) Next Sunday............................................ ..................... 8-)

mike22ca
04-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Ah ok. Bet Cabo was a blast! Actually she had caught a leopard one in tomales. She never caught as many as she did this time. Yes, in all the regular places ;)

530hammer
04-22-2007, 05:21 PM
i think everyone is thinking about your gfs cousin we dont care about the sharks are dime adozen a girl that likes fishing is priceless
sharks<gfs cousin i would quit fishing for that haha well maybe for a few weeks :)

mike22ca
04-23-2007, 08:28 AM
i would quit fishing for that haha well maybe for a few weeks *:)

I wouldnt for no broad LOL [smiley=angling.gif]

530hammer
04-23-2007, 01:27 PM
;Dlol im tired of reeling in fish have caught 2 many in the last few weeks