PDA

View Full Version : anybody fish the ab opener?

ratss427
04-02-2007, 05:56 PM
how did ya do?

sethonious
04-03-2007, 09:10 AM
My brother and Dad did, but I did not. They report 8-10' visibility and generally good conditions. They got five 8"ers and my brother got one that he describes as a mutant. It is 7.5" in the measuring direction 7.75" in the opposite direction and the meat is about 5.5"thick. The meat easily weighs twice what the 8"ers weigh. I can't wait to join them, but I need to work out to get down to wetsuit weight... soon enough.

abdiver12
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Is there any way you can post a photo of the mutant shell? *It sounds alot like a mutant 9 incher I have and I'd love to see how they compare to one another.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/abdiver12/Photo0057.jpg

I've put a normal 9 incher next to it for comparison. *Ridiculously wide isn't it? *

Fishbutt21
04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
About 20yrs ago I was able to get a "mutant" also that was almost round. It was about 8"across and 6" deep like a big cereal bowl.If I recall it had a grey color meat and a sorta off flavor when cooked :-/

Brentonious
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
This ab was a mutant more for the meat that it yielded and less for the shell depth. *I have had more bowl shaped shells before; this meat is the largest I've seen to come from such a small shell. *Some of the pics are a little funny because I resized them and the background now hurts my eyes, sorry, but enjoy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/hayhoop/ABpics.jpg

sethonious
04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
That's my bro! We are eating that for Easter.

MB_Kevin
04-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Cool, i don't like clams or oysters but on a party boat once the deck hand brought out some abs. I only took a small piece thinking I would not like it but was very happy when he came back and I took a few more. It was really good 8-)

abdiver12
04-04-2007, 02:54 AM
That is really cool. I've never seen an ab that is so nearly perfectly round like a dinner plate.

bennyfisher
04-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Not to highjack the thread but other than having biologists study our puch cards when turned in at the end of the season, what does F&G do to justify the cost of the abalone report card. *Sorry if this has been discussed but I didn't see it in the history. *Seems with the cost of the report card and the huge increase of tickets being issued since starting the card program F&G should be swimming in money to better the abalone population.

sethonious
04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
You gotta pay to play. But 17.85 is a steal when you pay 29.99/lb in the asian grocery stores for 4" farmed abs, and that is with the shell!

SUNRISECHASER
04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
2 days and counting. Fishy Friday, Sonoma coast here I come. Will post results soon. :P

Foosdog
04-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Anybody dive bird rock, just outside Tomales Bay lately? *Used to be a good spot but that was several years back. *Been a few years since I last went abbing, wondering if it's worth the effort.

Fishbutt21
04-05-2007, 09:04 AM
end of rockfish season last year there was a good size white watching over the ABs at bird rock. Tell us how you do ;)

sethonious
04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Tomales makes the northern tip of the red triangle, you got to have some pretty hairy stones to make that dive.

Salm-ON
04-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I heard that......No way would you catch me diving over there. Some buddys of mine used to dive it over there.....UNTILL one day at the end of the dive as soon as they got back to camp one of them forks over all of his dive stuff and says he is not diving anymore and claims he seen the boss in the grey and white suit. He has never went on a dive again.

I BELIEVE!!!!!!

abdiver12
04-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I've had worries many a time of seeing "the boss" as I paddle 200 or so yards out to the kelp beds, basically a sitting duck on top of my float tube looking all the world like a wounded, clumsy, sea lion. Sometimes, I think its crazy going that far out into open water but then I read about guys in the old days of commercial abbing who used to dive the FARALLONE ISLANDS. One described regularly seeing white sharks cruising over his head when he was on the bottom. Nowadays, I just look at it as yet another factor that makes ab diving so exciting and challenging. And lets face it, the chances of getting eaten are very very slim.

To the gentleman who was debating whether or not to take up diving again, I'd only recommend it if you can get to a fairly remote location (my method is either kayak or diving in deep water). Most locations that are near shore and easily accessible like Fort Ross are almost completely picked out.

MB_Kevin
04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
end of rockfish season last year there was a good size white watching over the ABs at bird rock. Tell us how you do ;)

This guy wants all those abs to himself...Just kidding ;D

I think of having the perfect bait dangled right in front of a fish at the right season and you can't get them to bite. That is what I think of when Im out in the ocean and that shark feeling comes over me. We are not even the perfect bait and we would probably have to work to get it to bite our hooks so what would be the odds of it biting me.

But sometimes they do :o

abdiver12
04-06-2007, 01:36 PM
One diver that didn't take any crap from Whitey!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/abdiver12/sharkhunter.jpg

Foosdog
04-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Going to try my luck tomorrow. *Are the laws regarding ab irons still the same? *My ab irons are many years old, just want to make sure there hasn't been any laws changed that would make an iron that was once legal, illeagal now. *It was *a store bought iron.

ratss427
04-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Going to try my luck tomorrow. *Are the laws regarding ab irons still the same? *My ab irons are many years old, just want to make sure there hasn't been any laws changed that would make an iron that was once legal, illeagal now. *It was *a store bought iron.
you should be good.as long as your ab knife it dull.and store purchased.your good.

Foosdog
04-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Hit Stillwater today, very nice weather vis. about six feet. *
Got my limit(one 7", and two 8.5"). Didn't have to go any deeper than 15 feet. *Still kicked my @ss though. *Time for a shower and bed.

fishhook60
04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
dove near mendocino saturday got three 8 inchers in rough water then did a scuba dive at van dam and saw many larger abs there in 16 feet of water

ratss427
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
fished fisk mill last sat.got limits of 8's.surf was a tad rough though.

SUNRISECHASER
04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Gerstle cove area on Friday 4/6 was nice. Morning dive for limits was well worth the drive, it was like easter egg hunting. I have seen a little grey shark 6 ft. off of Tomales a few years back after diving. I haven't been back though but diving is supposed to be exciting. :D

abdiver12
04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I've always wanted to try diving the Gerstle Cove area - such a beautiful, scenic location. A guy told me several years ago that an area outside the reserve had so many abs that they literally covered the rock walls and all he had to do was go from one to the other measuring for size. Is that what you meant by Easter Egg hunt?

SUNRISECHASER
04-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Yes, it's loaded early in the year.

AnyH2oAnytme
04-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Fisk North side three limits, mine pictured, five nines, two eights, two sevens, four divers. One first timer! You gotta work for them! BOTTON TIME!!!

SUNRISECHASER
04-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Hey any, where is Fisk North? Sounds like nice sizes you caught. Going N. to Bragg this weekend, best tides of the year this week> ;D