PDA

View Full Version : New Melones 1/18/12 (pics to come)

Marv
01-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Went out today with RideNfish to do a lil recon/fishing @ Angels creek. Ride and I got to the parking lot a little after 6am and got to hoofin' down Buck brush trail :cold1:. After a brisk walk we arrived at the white water section of Angels creek and tossed a 2" shad color swimbait while Ride tossed couple different lures. Nothin' but ice cicles on eyelets, so i toss out some powerbait prop my rod and boom fish on :) a nice holdover with really nice colors, after a few minutes we move down the shore. Doug tosses out a worm and bam :) fish on, another nicely colored holdover and a little chunkier than mine. No more action so we moved a lil futher down shore watching for some surface action. The fish didn't want to play :( no wooly bugger, no worm, kastmaster or powerbait hits :(

Started to head back toward the car lookin' for some action as were chuckin' and we spot a bird that was caught on some fishing line so i cast out and hall him in, well 5' out in the lake so i wade out and grab the bird and Ride does some untangling and we let him go <---- catch and release :) so we contine on and as were passing a random spot Ride says "you wanna try it for 15" glad i listened to you man cause i had a blast and Ride you sir are the BANK MANAGER! I'll let Ride post the pics and finish off the report, sorry to leave ya guys hangin' on but I like reading Rides posts and id like to hear the better half of the day from him

WARNING: If seeing an angler crushing fish with a PURPLE wooly, don't hang around Ride cause thats what he does.

trollingplate
01-19-2012, 07:47 AM
What about the cork?

and yes, he IS the Bank Manager!!

Waiting for "film at 11:00" ..

RideNfish
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
First off let me say it was a blast fishing with BassBoy (BB). We had a great time and it was nice to leave the traditional bank fishing areas with everyone else to do some hiking and checking out new areas that I have been wanting to look at for quite some time. As BB said we hiked for a bit until we saw the creek inlet but we didn't fish any moving water. The creek was tiny anyway with the lack of rain. We were throwing different things and BB put out the PB that he mentioned and immediately caught this nice hold over. I'm disappointed that the pic doesn't reflect the darker colors of the fish and the reddening gill plate. It was a beaut.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1441.jpg

With all of our walking we didn't realize how cold it was. Once we started fishing and our hands were getting cold we both looked up at our rods and saw this stuff. I guess this means "lower temps". :)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1442.jpg

BB said he got pleasure from the simpler things if life. I guess so cause look at what he showed me. hehe A pretty chunk of ice from the shore.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1444.jpg

We didn't get any more bites around the creek so we moved lakeward a ways and I threw out a worm since BB had on Pb. I immediately get movement on my wine cork indicator (wci) and land this nice hold over. Again the colors aren't coming thru on the cam for some reason but was a gorgeous fish.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1445.jpg

Notice how clear the water is in the above pic. A strong reason to use 2 lb line.

The pattern for BB and I was one fish per location it seemed so we moved on out again to try another point. We set up there and I got a fish on a orange Pe. Then finally I get my first fish on a wooly. It was an olive wooly and the fish not big. But for those of you that know the smaller fish are a blast on the wooly compared to on bait. :0)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1447.jpg

Now we decide to move always working our way in the direction of the car. But as BB said we saw a bird (mud hen of sorts) caught on a line but well out of reach. He throws a kastmaster out and hooks the line and pulls the pissed off bird towards us. The fools that left that line out there must of been using at least 30 lb mono. We could only get the bird close to shore so our hero BassBoy209 takes off his shoes and wades out to grab the bird. I use my forceps to pull the tiny treble hook out of it's leg that had two barbs firmly planted. We untangle the rest and the bird quickly heads out to water and joins it's flock that was a couple hundred yards away. Sorry no pics of all this but our hands were busy.

Hoping the fish Gods would smile upon us we kept moving lakeward I look down at this point and cove area and ask if he wants to try it for 15 min or so. Glad we did cause those fish God's musta been happy. This is the area were shinny fish live cause the colors where chrome and green. Here is one I caught on my Pe.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1448.jpg

I was actively throwing my purple wooly hoping for some magic. We saw surface activity picking up so I had hopes. Well it lit up for both of us. His bait rod wouldn't sit long without action and my wooly was getting crushed. I had one hit the wooly right after a long bomb cast. It had to be 30 yards or so out there and just as I get the slack reeled in from the cast I see a wake coming behind my water bobber and WHAM! That fish hit like a ton and thrashed out of the water immediately. I was happy that BB was watching cause both of us said a bad word knowing this was a fish of nice size. He peeled a bit of line but what let me know it was something was my line from the tip of my pole to the fishes mouth 30+ yards out was high and dry. Even the water bobber was out of the water that far away. I get a fun fight out of him and as he gets close BB's bait rod goes down. Our first double. The only bummer is as I got the fish just within sight under water he spits the hook. I saw the flash and rough size of him as he left and the colors were darker holdover for sure. Well at least I got to bring him close after being so far out there.

I don't know how many fish we caught in that area but I was very close to 15 and BB was around 10-ish or so. This all happened in a couple of hours. I was very happy to have almost all my fish come on the wooly. Here is a pic of a nice shiner that BB caught.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1450.jpg

We had a great time. Even if we didn't get into a hot bite the hiking and fishing and hanging out with a fellow Sniffer was a good time on it's own. We just got lucky at the end. Here is a parting pic of our last double we had. Sorry the fish is a bit muddy but notice the "bigger" fish has a purple wooly in it's mouth. :laugh: I am certain the average size goes up on the wooly.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1451.jpg

Had a great time with BassBoy and was glad we saved a bird. Oh, we also pick up trash as we find it too. I like that BB does this as well. Outings like this are good without fish and excellent with them. I was honored to be with BB on what he said was his most successful trout fishing experience (catch rate wise) to date. He is fairly new to trout fishing and has the bug.

Thanks BB and until next time....
:cheers1:

Marv
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Oop's i was typing as You were postin :)
See thats why i let you finish. Awesome post and the pleasure was all mine. Like Ride said the pics dont do justice on our first 2 fish. Thanks again on the wonderful day and sharing your wealth of knowlage :)

CRABBY
01-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Nice post an pics Doug,looks like you guys had a great time,neat lookin ice crystal,did ya get any pics of the bird?what kind was it?
Well now that BB is gonna be a trout guy he HAS to get a KITTY,yes it's in the rules,LOL,plus his family wants one too!!
Keep up the good work......Don

RideNfish
01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
did ya get any pics of the bird?what kind was it?

Here is a quote from my story, "the bird quickly heads out to water and joins it's flock that was a couple hundred yards away. Sorry no pics of all this but our hands were busy."

You get a "B" on your book report. :hitoverhead:

It was just a mud hen of sorts but I'm no "bird nerd". hehe

AngelosPop
01-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Nice job BB & RnF!!!!!!!! Great reports as always!

Team Mc Fishing
01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree, that had to be fun working a bank line, taking the time to get away from the routine places that everyone else was. I spend plenty of time on my boat at melones, and its great to see that even with the rough terrain around the lake, you guys were able to hike a path and be successful. Thanks for the report and pics!

Team Mc Fishing Pro Staff

Steve079
01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Nice job on the Recon guys! Looks like yout little hike paid off. Great story and pictures too! Always good to get a little Karma by lending a hand out to those in need, even a mud hen. Excellent job!

RideNfish
01-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Oh my God!!! I need help! I'm sick with the purple wooly. I was doing laundry which included stuff from my latest fishing trip with BassBoy. Look what I found all washed, dried, and fluffed on my wool sock from hiking Melones. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1453.jpg

This means I did have ONE more fly on me. I could of made MORE CAST :hissyfit:

;)

Now I got a few extra. Anyone want 10 for $12 shipped? hehe

JwG
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Way to do it guys!!!
:yahoo:
It has been kind o' slow out there, but you guys show us it can be had if you work it.

Glad the two of you got together for an adventure and fished new water.

As always RnF, great report and pictures.

You can 'Take that to the Bank!'

schatgun
01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
The adventures & misadventures of Bassboy & RidNfish....awesome. Fun report to read and probably and even more enjoyable adventure to experience. Well done....I'm sure PETA is greatful to you both too.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys on the wate soon....thanks for the excellent report (as usual).

Happy fishing....

Fishinjib
01-21-2012, 03:40 PM
nice fish fellas!

Does anyone know if they allow winter camping at New Melones? If i'm making that drive to fish there i might as well stay the night and fish for 2 days.

Thanks,
Jib

RideNfish
01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
nice fish fellas!

Does anyone know if they allow winter camping at New Melones? If i'm making that drive to fish there i might as well stay the night and fish for 2 days.

Thanks,
Jib

I think they do. Just google their website and find out. I just live close enough to not pay attention to the camping. It would be nice though for me to work it for two days. Seems right now banking is out doing trolling but of course that can change any minute.

Let us know if you go!
Cheers,

bass fishin
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
nice fish fellas!

Thanks,
Jib

Lake pardee opens for the season early feb and it's only a few miles from comanche. You could maybe stay at pardee and fish both lakes if Comanche isn't open during winter. IMO, fishings even better at pardee

GNappers
01-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Catching fish while exercizing. Doesn't get much better then that.

Koke Machine83
01-22-2012, 08:32 AM
One of the Best reports i have read in a while!!! BIG Congrats to the both of you!!! Nice looking fish too!!! Looks like i just have to get my ### up there and do some catching... Robbie