PDA

View Full Version : Last Hunt of the Season

hanahou7
01-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Had to cancel a trip up to Reno due to the storm, so I decided to do a last minute hunt at Don Edwards NWR in Alviso. It's only about 20 minutes from my house, and I figured I'd just give it a shot since I had nothing planned Saturday morning.

Got out at around 6:30, the rains and winds helped with moving the birds. Ducks not working to calls or decoys, and couldn't get any within shooting range. I was about to call it quits around 9:30 and was walking back to the car when I saw two Canada Geese come flying in. They were headed towards me, but started to turn away. I got desperate, and started waving my arms around hoping the movement would get their attention. Not sure if that worked, but they turned back towards me and I managed to down one of them.

Overall, probably would have been a decent day if I had stayed out, but I had some other things to do and was grateful to take one a goose (first one ever.) Good luck to everyone else out there, and hope your season ends on a high note!8672

Hof
01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Congrats on your first goose! Hopefully there will be more to come. You never know what those things will respond to, a few years ago my hunting partner turned a single speck around goofing off by trying to imitate an elk with his duck call. :grin: made for a good story on a slow day.

Hof

JwG
01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Nice job on your goose hanahou7!!http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon14.png

Glad you are able to hunt close to home.
I use to hunt that area a lot, just southwest of the old town of Drawbridge mostly.
When I was in High School my buddies and I would run out there after school let out with our dogs and hunt until dark.