PDA

View Full Version : halibut try in tomales turns whale watching

65whaler
04-09-2007, 03:00 PM
late report - sorry. we were planning to fish the opener out of tomales bay but got locked in by that 10' ground swell that broke all the way across the bar. tried every trick we know to get some halibut in all the right spots, but no takers.

just north of hog there was a juvenile hump back back working something very close to shore in no more than 30' of water. he was there all day. our drifts brought us within 50' of him/her several times. i've never seen a porpoise in tomales bay. it was a real shock when we first heard and saw it blow. curious as to why it's in there, and hope it manages to make it out safely. i don't think there's any food types in the bay that a baleen whale could work in there, but who knows.

STURGEONSTOMPER
04-09-2007, 03:09 PM
At least we were fishing though right ;) Still a good time. Thanks for the whole hearted effort there 65. We ended up splitting after you left too.

That offer still stands buddy ;)

Did hear of a couple sharks taken behind the island..That small boat is the one I think. They met us at the washdown afterwards...Oh well...Next time right ;)

65whaler
04-09-2007, 03:21 PM
hey ss - no regrets man. i'll take a day on the water over working every time. hope you don't write tomales bay off ... it picks up in may and should be productive this summer.

i will definitely take you up on your sturgeon offer ... after i get this salmon itch out of my system. ;D

any time you want to come back to lawsons for salmon and don't want to bring your boat, you and fishnjim are more than welcome to jump on my whaler. it's not nearly as nice as yours or jim's boat, but it's a free ride. just wear your kidney belt. ;)

STURGEONSTOMPER
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
You got it, let me know when ;)

Farrier_Frank
04-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Good report, Whaler. But you should have taken a camera, woulda been the biggest fish posted on the boards this weekend.

If you survived a day fishing with the Stomper and saw a whale it had to be a good day, even with no fish. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

A friend of mine owns a trailer at Lawson's, owned it since they started Lawson's, beach front lot, pretty cool. When ever I get a chance I like to go poke pollin with him down there. Been wanting to try the butts down there, too. Maybe this coming season I can catch up with you guys and you can point me in the right direction. 8-)

fishhogg
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
the whale was probably a juv gray, there up an down the coast now, in every bay, cove and inlet, last yr there was one inside the channels of bodega, then it was found dead near tomales, earlier in the week there was one in sf bay, regardless its always nice being up close an personal with oceans nature... Usually worth the trip itself, good job!
sorry bout the butts, last couple yrs they been few an far between and late, but its a new yr, thanks for trying...!

fishenrick
04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Guess that explains why I could not reach you guys on the radio,me and the boys were out bouncing around the 300 foot mark I just figured you guys were ignoring me while you were filling up your boxes with salmon ;)

STURGEONSTOMPER
04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Was that you calling me Rick, I couldnt figure out who in the world that was :-[ Sorry, maybe I will respond next time instead of filling the fish box ;D ::)

65whaler
04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
hey rick - we heard you once or twice, but verrry broken up. sometimes the vhf will curve over tomales point and give a glimpse of what's happening in the big blue. i knew there was no way you'd hear us if we replied though.

fishhog - i'm no marine biologist. could have been a grey, thought it was a hump.

frank - we were all moaning about the camera, which i almost always take and always regret when i don't. we were close enough to smell this kid's breath.

ss - i'll call when the surf and weather gods converge to let me out of tomales.

dandeuce
04-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Could have been a gray or a humpback , the first weekend in April while camped at Doran we watched 3 or 4 adult humpbacks for hours . They were only 50 yds off the breakers , water can't be much more than 10-12' deep there . I never saw the grays other people had seen earlier in the day , really surprised to see them that close . Wife wanted to know why we were'nt seeing their flukes as we have with other sightings elsewhere , " too shallow , they can't dive ".

fishhogg
04-10-2007, 02:57 PM
MArch an april the grey whales are in full swing on there migratory pattern up north with there young, occasionally the young will get seperated from the adults, then you will see them in parculiar places, lost whales so to speak, an as far as not seeing any blows, was because it was too shallow, everytime a whale surfaces, it blows, but if it lacks water, the blow isnt visible....
you can go to almost any beach this time of the yr and see one up close and personal. Saw a young one couple days ago, literally 20 yrd down from the surfers at salmon creek, dont even think they even seen it, but im sure the whale seen them ;D

Redwine
04-10-2007, 03:59 PM
On Sunday my buddie and I were out on the water between Bodega harbor and the mouth of Tomales where we saw dozens of whales.
They were in shallow and deep. Lots of krill in the water.
One to many furbags also!

STURGEONSTOMPER
04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Sooooo, tell me. How do you hook krill :-/ I wanna rip-a-lip on one of those bad boys :o :o

Redwine
04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Good question!!