PDA

View Full Version : anyone fish lake merced in san francisco?

LONO100
01-29-2012, 03:03 PM
hey all, i was thinking about coming out to lake merced to do some fishing. i used to go out there as a kid when i lived in the city, but havent been there in many years. last time i went, i remember having to pay a daily fee. are there still daily fees there? and if so, how much are they? thanks in advance for any info.

TroutGhost
01-29-2012, 04:11 PM
I went there last fall and was disappointed at how decrepit, filthy and abandoned the whole lake seemed. The way it's laid out isn't even conducive to strolling. I found it unpleasant. The old clubhouse is falling abandoned and appears to be rotting. There were scummy looking criminal types in the bathrooms smoking pot. I had driven over from the East Bay where it was sunny but Lake Merced was gray, cold and windy (no wonder the nickname for that part of town is Dark Merced). San Francisco peeps were there fishing and having picnics but I, my wife, and my daughter found it pathetic and depressing. We ended up going up the road to watch the hang gliders.

Fishing in Merced turned me off of fishing for almost 25 years. I remember I caught a sorry looking trout with sores on it's body and thought the lake must be funky polluted. Disgusted me and I hung up my fishing pole almost for good. They still plant but that lake is managed very poorly.

LONO100
01-30-2012, 01:43 AM
wow, that's sad to hear. i havent been there in years, but my cousin told me that they spruced the place up. too bad, i remember having tons of fun there as a kid.