PDA

View Full Version : Trout experiment

redneckpunk
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Brought home 2 bleeders from Collins today and decided to through them on grill for dinner tonight. Its been 10+ years since I cooked trout and had no idea what to do with them. I skimmed through a few different recipies realizing that since I hadnt planned on cooking them tonight I didnt have most ingredients they called for. But what the heck, who needs recipies? So heres what I through together. I melted 1 cup of butter with 1Tbls of minced garlic and some minced onion. Once melted I added a couple splashes of Raspberry vinegarette dressing. I placed the trout in an aluminum tray and seasoned the inside with lemon pepper, hot chili powder, and Cow-Camp Garlic season-all. I added 1/2 slice of bacon to the inside of each fish, placed a slice of bacon on top of each and topped it by pouring on the butter mix. The pan was placed on the BBQ over low-medium heat. at the 10 min mark I removed the top bacon strips, flip the fish, and replaced the bacon for 10 more minutes of cooking. Was it good you might ask? My g/f's 14 year old son, who doesnt eat fish, ate 1/2 of the first one before I could get bones and skin pulled off the second. So I guess thats a yes?

Cleaned and waiting to see what to do with them

Putting on the grill

The aftermath

~RNP

AngelosPop
01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Much like you I haven't had trout in a long time. I tried the BBQ last fall, it was ok. I used my Salmon rub on cedar planks, it was good, but not great. Your's was a way better prep. But since then, I like to fillet them, and just put them in the oven on a cookie sheet, rub with olive oil, some lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, smidge of salt. cook @ 425 for 10-12min while I am eatting my salad so when I am done with my salad the trout comes out nice and hot, and ready to eat.

redneckpunk
02-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Sounds good AP but at this size trying to fillet would just be futile for me. Big hands that dont work worth a crap when I need them to combined with a sharp knife just not a good idea :wallbash:

~RNP

Axminster
02-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Blackened trout. Better yet smoked trout as long as its wild and pink.

drinkinbuddy
02-18-2012, 10:30 AM
I am all for the wild and pink :laugh: