PDA

View Full Version : Question for Surf Perching Gents

BASNFAN
04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
That ole surf can sure tie knots in my leader while fishing grubs, etc. Carolina style. Any tricks to avoiding this short of not fishing? ::) Also, when fishing bait on a high lo rig, do you run into the same problem of knots?
BASNFAN

Sin_Coast
04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I get the same problem with knots when fishing a carolina rig. I have tried downsizing line weight, upgrading line weight, bigger sinkers, smaller sinkers, shorter leaders, bigger grubs, etc etc. With No luck.

However, I hardly ever get knots when using a surf leader/hi-lo rig.

My latest offering has been a dropper loop about 4 inches above a 1oz torpedo sinker and a 18 inch leader from the dropper loop. Slightly less knots.

Good luck!

pinfish
04-05-2007, 11:09 PM
shorter leader. fluorocarbon leader.

tracy-ed
04-06-2007, 05:18 AM
On a high/low jig I have gotten all finatic about putting a piece of small diameter shrink tubing over the hook-to-leader knot and carefully applying heat to it so that the first 1 1/2 inch or so is stiff and at 90 degrees to the main leader. I seems to help.....

The other thing that seems to help is tension, keeping the line from the tip of the pole to the weight taught is just good fishing technique and helps cut down the tangles. If I'm taking a little time in my chair, opening a beer, talking to tourists, admiring joggers ::)I get more tangles than when I'm "workin' it".

But then again....it's the surf! There is a lot there we just can't control.

tjhunts
04-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Hate that problem!

Here is what has helped me: use a floro leader to the hook, tie your own snell (eliminates one more knot). I also add a bead swivel 18" above the egg sinker. I have found much of my tangles are line twist related. This has improved that by 200%.

TJ

BASNFAN
04-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info and ideas, guys. I will work on it when I am down at Pismo in early May.
BASNFAN