PDA

View Full Version : Can you catch pile worms and store them???

EastBayAngler
03-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Today I took my daughter to the Oakland pier by 7th st. and I brought a bag of chovies due to my past expierence at that pier! Well when we got there it was low tide...Real low! so i climbed down onto the rocks to see what i could see, and looking at all those mussels bunched up on the rocks I could see Pile worms crawling around in between them. So i scooped up some mussels and seaweed and in the roots between the mussels and the rocks were a BUNCH of pile worms ranging from tiny to huge!

Threw a few on a hook and caught a small jacksmelt. Used that to try for shark but the only bite I got was a reeler and snapped my line( maybe a ray!)

So is it legal to grab them off of the rocks, and if so how would you keep them alive??? Hey maybe donzi can help me???-EBA

MB_Kevin
03-28-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't think it would be illegal but would check first. I have caught them and used them but they seem to fall apart easily. I think you need to chill them first to make them stronger. You can keep them in a refrigerator for a couple of days but not much longer. If you are planing on going back out soon you could try to bring home a few and put them in the fridge with some of the sea weed and then try them out but would not try to stock up for the season.

tarbuckle
03-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Beleive it or not but the Berkly Power worms that look like pile worms work almost as good as the real thing. You don't even need to "work" them. I watched my buddy catch perch by just letting them sit on the bottom.

Fishbutt21
03-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Here is the DFG regs for worms "sec 29.05" general

(1) Except where prohibited within state marine reserves, state marine parks, state marine
conservation areas, or other special closures only the following may be taken: red abalone,
limpets, moon snails, turban snails, chiones, clams, cockles, mussels, rock scallops, native oysters,
octopuses, squid, crabs, lobsters, shrimp, sand dollars, sea urchins .and worms except that no worms may be taken * in any mussel bed, unless taken incidental to the harvesting of mussels.

EastBayAngler
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys!-eba

Hogsbro
03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Also try opening those muscles and using them for bait. I've always had good luck with them too.

donzitroller
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
EBA, Fishbutt beat me to it.. sorry bro! You HARVEST mussels right? ;)

MB_Kevin
03-29-2007, 09:25 PM
We got ours swimming in the water. I guess we were OK. They were huge and just swimming under the pier.