PDA

View Full Version : Dabbin' at the Fort?

FatCat
03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
I have a few questions that I am hoping the collective wisdom of the board can answer:

I chartered the Fish-On out of Fort Bragg for a half day excursion on June 2 with my co-workers. Many of them have little fishing experience so we will primarily be targeting lings and rockfish, not salmon.

Since we have the boat for 5 hours I would like to go for another type of fish in order to make the cost more worthwhile. My first thought was to go for sand dabs for an hour or so. We could keep some and use some for lingcod bait as well. However, I have never fished for sanddabs before and wonder if there are any nearby and if it would be worth it to go for them.[ch12288]What do you all think?

Second, what other types of fish (other than salmon or crabs) could be targeted near the typical rockfish areas at that time of year? Flounder? Halibut? Mackerel?

I am open to any and all ideas. Don is currently commericial fishing in Bodega otherwise I would bug him about it.

Thanks!

triggerfish
03-27-2007, 08:06 PM
You got 2 choices on a 1/2 day Rockfish/lings, Or salmon. There is little else to target,with such limited time!

fishhogg
03-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Book the boat for the day and book a trip to punta gorda. Cordell bank rock cod and ling cod plus pacific halibut!

FatCat
03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I thought about doing the long haul up north and I would be all over it if it were a group of seasoned fisherfolk. Being that we will have some greenhorns (and potentially green faces), however, I figure a shorter trip will more pleasant for all.

Time will be a factor to be sure but limits on rockies usually come pretty quick. Anyone fished for dabs out there?

beandog
03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Just north of the #2 buoy is where I get my dabs. The kid who runs the fish on is my next door neighbor. He knows where to get em. You won't be able to fish for lings until July, but you'll get limits of rockies no problem if the weather cooperates. Have fun.

FatCat
03-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Right on, beandog! Thanks for the tip. Oh, and there is some good news on the lings this year. The DFG site says they will be open June 1. Yay! Hopefully they will feel like biting.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mapregs2.html#lingcod_closed

Did the deckhand (Mike?) finally get to captain the Fish-On? God help us all. LOL. I think that's his name. The guy who is really into fixing up muscle cars? I fished with him a bunch last year. He mentioned he was going to be in charge of the Fish-On this year. Good for him. He is a riot! I had a blast joking around and talking smack with that guy, not to mention catching some big 'ol lings!