PDA

View Full Version : A dumb question? or perhaps not

redneckpunk
02-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Years ago, before I got my first boat, I had pretty much given up on trout fishing but couldnt remember why. Recently, as Ive gotten back into it, both from shore and boat, Im being reminded. As the number of fish in the freezer start to increase, Im realizing I dont eat enough of it to justify having to keep all the bleeders. 95% of the fish caught trolling are easy C&R. However, from shore when bait fishing, it seems 95% swallow the hook and have to go on stringer. While I enjoy the catching and all other aspects of a day trout fishing Im finding it hard to justify. So whats the secret? How do I decrease the # of terminal catches? I've increased hook size from a 8 to 6 with same results. I've seen some guys using using treble hooks but never done so myself. Any suggestions?

~RNP

RideNfish
02-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Good question RnP. Surely NOT a dumb one. I have no boat so have to bank fish a lot. I keep down on bleeders a couple of ways. One is my magic wooly bugger success. All of those fish are mouth hooked. Just like trolling from a boat or fly fishing. I'm sure you have read some of my post on this method.

For bait I use a size 8 salmon egg hook. Even for power bait. Sometimes it doesn't stay on as well but frankly stays on pretty darn good. Of course power eggs on a single hook are better too. Yes some still swallow it but I must say I have a large percentage hooked just in the mouth. I also usually crimp down the barb on the hook as well. Sometimes I forget but usually don't. Also if you bait fish holding a pole as opposed to a rod holder you will get more mouth hooked fish since you feel them the first time they play with it and don't have time to swallow. I admit I'm not real good at this method since I put a bait rod out and throw something else. But when the bite is good enough on just a wooly or lure then I won't even bother with the bait rod.

I know you will get a lot better answers than mine but it's a start and I will be following closely. Thanks for asking!

Cheers,

CRABBY
02-17-2012, 04:44 PM
RNP,been there done that,what I do is get people lined up before hand that want the fish,when camping I ask other campers to,so the fish are pretty much spoken for without filling up my freezer,the other thing I discovered is to smoke em,get rid of that trout flavor I hate an just make em taste good,it works even better if you fillet them then smoke em,no bones an just enjoy,if done right they are great that way.Friends I know do the smoking for some of the fish(HALF)which works out great as I have no mess or fuss.Now just enjoy trout fishing,no pain,all gain.....:yahoo:....as for not catching bleeders try only artificials, no bait..Don

redneckpunk
02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how its goes. The g/f just sent me a text that were meeting some friends tomorrow at Rancho Seco for a few hours of fishing. Maybe I'll just pack my heavier gear and target green carp all day

~RNP

shadbuster
02-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Cut the line as close to the mouth as possible and let the fish go, survival rates are pretty high caught plenty of fish with hook and line sticking out of there mouths before.

redneckpunk
02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
rnf, I forgot to mention in OP I do debarb the hooks but usually not to effective when they swallow. I have read about your wooly buggers and actually picked up a couple a few weeks ago. I just have to get the technique down now.

sb, if they come in as bleeders, cutting the hook off isnt going to give them any chance. Friend of mine did that a few weeks ago at Collins and with a few minutes he was wading out into the cold water to net the bellyup fish.

~RNP

JwG
02-17-2012, 06:06 PM
PM sent to you.

Marv
02-17-2012, 07:01 PM
RNP, great question.... If I could I would copy and paste RnF and SG responce. Two years ago I would have laughed at people that c&r only. No as im getting into trout and understanding the importance of c&r.

X1000 on the size 8 salmon hook. Ask RnF i've recently ditched size16 trebels. If a fish gut/thraot hooks him self a hook degorger(sp) works. Wooly bugger = corner off the mouth.

The wooly technique is a simple, cast out as far as you can and slowly retrive. Other flies work as well, match the hatch. It way more fun on a lure than bait.any day.

Jetspray
02-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Make sure the hooks you use are the type that dissolve/rust away with time. Keep them on the small size as well as the line tied to them. Most of the trout are planted and do not re-produce in lakes in lower altitudes. The suggestions to crimp the barbs and such are great to follow as well. If you intend on removing the hooks have hemostats or long reach removers that hold the hook while removing and immobilize the fish before removing using a wet sponge or wet towel to hold them.......Jetspray

GCinGV
02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
When bait fishing if you hold the rod, donít let any slack get in the line and set the hook fast youíll greatly reduce the number of deep hooked fish. With the rod in a stake they have time to swallow the bait.

Jetspray
02-19-2012, 06:19 AM
When bait fishing if you hold the rod, donít let any slack get in the line and set the hook fast youíll greatly reduce the number of deep hooked fish. With the rod in a stake they have time to swallow the bait.

This is very true for most lakes, however lite bites sometimes won't show up without set-ups. If you fish Indian Creek Resivour they steal the bait in a heartbeat. I have seen fellas leave the bail open and put a rock on their line to hold the tension or velcro a clothespin to the handle to hold the line. Others put a bobber or drop weight on the line while in a holder to keep the line taught. It all works from what I have seen........Jetspray

FLA Sunshine Girl
03-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Redneckpunk, Thanks for starting this Thread-I'm learning alot from the 'How do I..." Threads. I am putting together a trip out to Calif and Oregon later in the year to suprise my husband and want to have 3-4 days of fishing set up!!
Kimmie

Hookem2004
03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
I've had good look with plain circle hooks to lower the terminal catches from bank.

Koke Machine83
03-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Just throw out some some Spoons that have only a single siwash hook. Just like trolling...