PDA

View Full Version : Golden/Browns in the AR?

Chapulin5151
02-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Hey all, just wondering if there are Browns or Goldens in the lower AR? I was out today and saw a few fish jumping out of the water. Unfortunately, they werent taking anything I was offering, but I did see the usual rainbow colors on the fish. Just curious.

Racinrob
02-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Golden Trout are typically found above 10,000 feet in the southern and central Sierra Nevada Mts. As far as browns, don't know. I would say no, but?

Chapulin5151
02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I knew Goldens were a long shot, but as I said, this wasn't no ordinary rainbow jumping out. But thanks for the response.

WLShafor
02-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Steelhead? Where about in the American Ricer where you fishing? Where you from shore or boat or?

tinytrout
02-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Here you go. About twenty years ago my friend and I were fishing for Steelies at Rossmore Bar when my friend caught a fish which was about 6lbs or so. We did not know what it was. It had a silver body with brown spots all over it. It looked like a Brown Trout but we thought now way in the American river. We took it to the fish and game office at Hazel. They said it was a sea going Brown trout. Never heard of one until that day.

Tiny

Ray9368
02-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Similar experience, probably pushing 30 years ago - caught a sea going brown in the American at Nimbus. It only happened that one year for me, and I used to spend a lot of time on the American. We had a DFG guy there in the basin that day checking licenses, and he said he had seen a few that year. Interesting catch to say the least!

Ray

hookeyjaw
02-22-2012, 07:59 AM
So then what's the limit on sea going browns in the American? I've seen them caught...

hookeyjaw
02-22-2012, 09:12 AM
And would that be considered a steelhead brown trout?

Chapulin5151
02-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Wow. That is very interesting to know. I was at Watt Ave. and he had jumped out of the water about 100 feet down stream from me. I cast to where I thought he would be next and he just up just upstream of my cast. So I y-cast well above where he should have been next to give him enough time to see my fly and then he jumps one last time, but about 10 feet from where i was wading and i never saw him again. I'll get him next time.

cowboyup03
02-22-2012, 10:28 AM
I caught a brown out of the lower ar about a year ago. There rare but are in the ar generally I see them caught during the summer months. I also catch on average 7 or 8 football trout that have fallen out of lake natoma last one was a week ago A large 8 lb hen with beautiful colors. But both these examples are considured wild fish and need to be handled with care and released as soon as possible.