PDA

View Full Version : New Brighton in April

Fish-on
03-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Heading to New Brighton for the weekend in April and was wondering what is bitting on the beach. Probably perch which is fine. It will give me something to do in the morning and late afternoons. Is there anything else close to the beach? maybe a hali or are they moving into the bay? If perch is the only game intown how are they eating and are there any limitations such as seasons?

I imagin plastics and maybe cut squid but anyone use something different?

tracy-ed
03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
When nothing else is working, I dig up sand crabs. ;) The 3/4 inch long ones are best. A #6 or #4 hook through the tail end....pierce the top of the shell, exit through the abs and hook back so the crab can be swallowed head-first. Fish it on a sliding sinker rig. It WILL get perch, and other fish if they are feeding in the surf zone.

blue_chrush
03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
this was a recent report from bayside marine in santa cruz......
I too have heard of some stripers being taken....
and some were in real close, as a friend caught one on the
the day of the perch tourny on a grub worm in like 5ft of water..

bayside marine...
The inshore fishing has been good for surf anglers fishing near Manresa State beach. There have been some nice Striped Bass caught on Pencil Poppers and big Surf Perch caught on Kalin Grubs. The Capitola Wharf anglers have been catching some small Halibut near Adams Reef and the Wharf. This should be a great season for Halibut due to the recent closure of Drag Nets being used in the Monterey Bay. The Rockcod opens on May 1 and closes in November.