PDA

View Full Version : good news for crab sport fishermen

Fishbutt21
03-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I just found this in the 2007 regs. ;D Maybe sec.3 will help cut down on trap poaching >:(

29.80. Gear Restrictions.
(a) General Provisions:
(1) Saltwater crustaceans may be taken by hand.
(2) Nets, traps or other appliances may not be used except as provided in this Section.
(3) It is unlawful to disturb, move, or damage any trap, or remove any saltwater crustacean from
a trap, that belongs to another person without written permission in possession from the owner
of the trap.

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Now the bad news...

With roughly 200 wardens in the state and probably somewhere between 150 and 175 actually in the feild if we are lucky, how is it going to be enforced?

Fishbutt21
03-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I am being open minded and thinking if it is in the regs maybe some of the "on the edge of legal" guys out there will leave my pots alone ;)

PeteK
03-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I see alot of mention of lack of numbers for game wardens on many threads here.. Here is the main problem with game wardens they are under paid severly. For what amounts to basically a federal offical, (think national parks), the pay plain sucks and doesnt pay the bills. They start pay below most if not all most entry lvl police or sheriff job details. I have a degree in criminal law and have a love for the outdoors. Me and my wife have sat down and discussed my desire to be a game warden. The problem is 6 months living in napa doing the academy and the pay reduction i would take. dont hold this for truth but i think the base starting pay is somewere in 40 k a year range last i looked. This is piss poor for the job they do and is problaly the #1 reason why they lack a full staff. I believe the starting pay for a CHP officer is closer to 48-53 K a year. One can clearly see the differnce. Also last i looked they were trying to tie the warden pay into what chp or correction officers get paid. if they did this i think they would be able to slowly add to their staff rates. I dont see this problem fixing itself anytime soon unfortuanly. Plz excuse any spelling errors its late and i'm tired.

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-17-2007, 11:50 PM
The way I understand it is that once a warden gets through the acadamy and finishes his or her probation the "Step up" is a transfer to CHP. I guess the bump in pay is 20-30k almost imeadetly. And yes I agree that they should be paid more.

I watched a live feed of a Commission meeting recently and they discussed the dire prediction that they expect to loose some 40% of the wardens over the next three years just due to retirements and that percentage is not including the transfers and or other losses in personel.

The bottom line is there will be a slug of new wardens out there and enforcement will suffer mainly through lack of experience and or budget shortfalls.

metalmouth
03-18-2007, 05:03 AM
With the pay grade difference comes another problem. The people that don't transfer to law enforcement may not be the professionals that you would be looking for in quality game enforcement officers.

basil
03-18-2007, 04:07 PM
So, they need written permission, to check someone else's trap. How do you tell it's someone elses trap? Put picture ID on it!?!?!