PDA

View Full Version : midshipmen

bretmoua
03-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Anyone know any bait shop where I can pick up some midshipmen? Can I fish for midshipmen the way I do for mudsuckers, which is between the cracks of the rocks? I'm hoping to get my hands on a few for this saturday.

keciga1
03-15-2007, 09:56 PM
It can be a nightmare finding midshipmen at bait shops. What I would suggest you do is call a few baitshops in the area and see if they have them. If you wanna catch your own, you would do so by going arround the bay at minus tide and flip rocks on a muddy bottom in little pools where they have been trapped. If I find them at a baitshop I buy a few bags. Good luck.

Ivan

sethonious
03-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Does anyone have a picture of a midshipman? I see a lot of talk on here about this being the coveted bait and I don't even know what they look like. Maybe if I knew what to look for I could keep an eye out for them.

Rock_Hopper
03-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Here ya go! Interesting little creatures...

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/images/dsc01294.jpg

kromebrite
03-16-2007, 08:08 AM
1/2 sardine works well too. Filet of mackeral is another good bet.
This year I'm going to ctach some bait while I'm out there and (after killing it...) cut it in 1/2 so I have a nice fresh, bloody bait for the shark.
Midshipmen are coveted because they stay on the hook well, leopard shark love them and rays don't bother with them.

Fishbutt21
03-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Midshipmen are cool fish with an almost glow in the dark tatoo on their belly but they do have large and sharp teeth for their size

Rock_Hopper
03-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Yup, and that reminds me...they have some sharp @ss spines just behind their heads also. I got spined by one and it went through the leather gloves I was wearing and into my finger.

So if you're out hunting for midshipman be sure to where some decent gloves. If not for the spines then to protect your hands from the dozens of barnacle encrusted rocks you'll need to overturn to find the little devils.