PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance- Forced to buy new fishfInder

Maddawg46
02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
My wife just made me buy 2 new fish/depth finders. Yes that's correct. She wants to make sure we are set with our first boat. So"......I purchased a Lowrance HDS5x for the bow (killer price $399)and a Lowrance gen2 HDS5 with GPS for the cockpit ( ordered that one). I hope I chose wisely. The depth finder I had was a 8 year old Humminbird that came with the boat when I bought it. The depth finder worked but the GPS was not working. New to boating, so don't want to get lost in the Delta.
So was my choice a good one?

ReelJerks
02-26-2012, 08:08 AM
You made a great choice and you will definitely enjoy the HDS experience. Don't forget to check Lowrance for any rebates that you may be eligible for Lowrance Ultimate Upgrade (http://www.lowrance.com/en-us/specialoffers/ultimate-upgrade/)

And when the time is right for you don't forget to add Structure Scan. Both your units can share the Structure Scan, however, only the Generation 2 units can utilize the StructureMap feature. I played with this a lot at the Bakersfield CalShow and I can't tell you just how impressive that feature is.

Edd

bretmoua
02-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Wow. Great buy. Now if every fishermen's wife was like yours, we would all be very happy fishermen! LOL

AnglingWes
02-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Awesome setup Maddawg, you won't be disappointed.

Thread Hijack:
Edd, can you use the StructureMap with custom, user created maps? I want to overlay on top of a bathymetric map i created using Fugawi of a costal region.

Sent from my iPhone

ReelJerks
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Thread Hijack:
Edd, can you use the StructureMap with custom, user created maps? I want to overlay on top of a bathymetric map i created using Fugawi of a costal region.

Sent from my iPhone

StructureMap is an OVERLAY option so as long as your HDS Gen2 unit will load and display your custom map, you should be able to place StructureMap on top. I don't know of anyone who has done this yet, so it may best serve you to call customer service first. Hold times are now less than 2 minutes per call. 1-800-628-4487

Edd

blwn31
02-27-2012, 10:00 AM
"My wife just made me buy 2 new fish/depth finders." Gee, I wish we all had that problem. LMAO! You won't be disappointed. I love my HDS5. Only wish it was an HDS7 or 8!

Keith

ReelJerks
02-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Thread Hijack:

Sent from my iPhone

Wes your post got me thinking so I checked further and what Lowrance advertises is StructureMap works with the Base map, Insight, Insight HD, and Navionics cards. Soooo I am not sure it will overlay the data on a custom map. Best to give CS a call.

Edd

AnglingWes
02-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Thank you. I sent an email. It's not a huge deal, but we often overlay our own maps on the Navi Base, and I'm curious to know if it will overlay on top of a other overlay.

My dad just got a Gen 2 on his rig in Seattle. Haven't gotten to play with it in person yet.

Sent from my iPhone

Scottish pride
03-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Would you possibly want to sell the old unit? I don't need gps and mine was stolen last year when my house was robbed. Have been using an ancient loran/fishfinder my father in law gave me.