PDA

View Full Version : sailboat fishing

evcmadfisherman
03-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Anybody using a sailboat for fishing.
This summer I plan to sailfish for salmon.

LuLu22
03-03-2007, 08:55 PM
You Bet !!!
I've fished the salmon from a sail boat and had a ball doing it!

In fact "back in the day" 1960's to 70's , Charlie on the Friday , a thirty foot sloop rigged monterey troller fished up and down the coast. He would shorten sail down wind and tack up wind while landing salmon. He ran a small diesel for refrigeration and hydraulic power for the gurdies. He also could use the diesel to propel the baot.

Lately, I have fished from a 27 foot Catalina out of Bodega Bay.
It is fun and really quiet. Ilike sailing for those reasons and fishing is a plus.

Have fun \\
What type of a boat do you have ?
Ron

evcmadfisherman
03-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the reply, I just bought a 37 foot islander berthed in sausalito and plan to sail out the golden gate for salmon this summer.
Have you ever fished for ling or halibut?

LuLu22
03-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Good for you. That is a nice boat. You will have a great time . Ling and Halibut fishing is pretty much a drift fishery. I have caught Halibut and Ling off the commercial bboats trolling over their grounds. They are on the bottom in any case. There are quite a few good places to fish for both spiecies in the Bay Area. Good luck! You might try a trip out the Gate and up to Drake's Bay for a great weekend fishing trip! It has super scenery to look at and has a great anchorage for the night time stay. In any case , have a fun time !!
Ron

evcmadfisherman
03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes drakes bay sounds like a plan. Add that to my list of summer fishing adventures.
question: when you hook up with a salmon, do you round up into the wind to bring in the fish, also where do you mount your fishing poles for trolling?

LuLu22
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes on the Sport fishing to bring in the salmon. It makes it better woit the pole and line. We always let out the line to the depth we were fishing and proped up the pole on the stern railing. You could rig up a downrigger and have a pole rest mounted in the stern? That would be a "Cadilac" method... Be creative!!!! Just put her "in Irons" for the landing of the fish and have the helmsman ( lady) help yopu with the net!!!! Gosh it sounds better all the time .. When do you want to go out???? I might just meet you there with the power boat from the North!! .... Have fun!
Ron
:)

evcmadfisherman
03-06-2007, 08:21 PM
You make it sound fun, I can't wait. salmon starts up next month ;D
and a fishin I will go!
oh ya
a fishin I will go!