PDA

View Full Version : pier fishing

hvykvy
02-21-2007, 04:11 PM
i like to pier fish i was trying to find some piers to fish in the bayarea i live in livermore and i will drive kinda far just not to far? ware are some good places to go in the bayarea? and what are they cacthing?

Fishbutt21
02-21-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.pierfishing.com/

This link should give you lots of info,Good luck and write back and tell us how you did out fishing

pinfish
02-21-2007, 07:56 PM
are they catching smelt yet?

gmdcdvm
02-22-2007, 02:49 AM
I have seen reports of smelt of Fort Baker, Fort Point, San Fran Muni piers, and the Alameda rockwall. Not in any great numbers, but they are there.

I don't think you can fish this area, but maybe you can. In emmeryville where all the party boats are birthed there can be some large schools of smelt. I remember them show up in huge schools as soon as the boats docked. They were waiting for fish carcasses to be thrown over the side. Don't know what its like durring the winter of if its fishable from the shore. Might wan to call Emeryville Sportfishing and ask.
Gerry

sethonious
02-22-2007, 09:04 AM
hvykvy-

I don't know how the fishing is on the pacifica pier right now, but I am probably going to go on Saturday. Hopefully it will be rainy and there will be some room on the pier. The fishing will probably be terrible with the forecast and all, but I need to get a line wet. If you want to talk fishing I'll have a gray backpack and a gray pole. Stop by if you feel like it. I also have a pretty good mental map of the structure/hazards under the water (LOTS of lost gear to figure that one out). I would be willing to share if I see you.

bretmoua
02-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I catch smelt all the time at fort baker. I see a lot of people use big poles with 30+lb lines and a humongous floater on and it just makes me laugh. I go out there with my 6'6" pole with a diawa reel, and 6 lb lines and I'm pulling these fish in like crazy. It's a great fishing pier for the kids and wife to learn fishing. That's probably one of the more productive pier I've been too. Too bad, no other species is on fire out there. Oh and I almost forgot....you can throw in crab nets and catch yourself a few yummy crabs!! ;D

MB_Kevin
02-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I think the closest pier would be the dumbarton right under 92 on your side. I would go at high tide because it gets low in that area. I hear the end gets crowded. I have never fished there but I think people get sturgeon off there. Might be late in the season for them.