PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt bay reports???

office_pirate79
02-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey everyone! I'll be headed up to the Eureka area to visit family this weekend and was hoping to get out and do some fishing. We were thinking of tossing pile worms/anchovies near the south jetty for....well, we don't know. I'd imagine the north jetty is pretty rough around this time although the weather report looks decent for tomorrow with rain expected for Sun/Mon. Any way, any help/tips would be great...thanks ;)

tarbuckle
02-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Your best bet right now would be perch at the power plant. Weather may look o.k. but 13 to 15 ft swells are predicted for this weekend.

office_pirate79
02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks Tarbuckle! We'd be in an old 16' Bell Boy...doesn't do too well in the rough stuff. Any other spots? Maybe the pier up in Trinidad or the beaches near the big lagoon and freshwater lagoon? We hit freshwater lagoon back in September and it looked so dam fishy! But we got skunked...

Jan_from_Humboldt
02-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Try the perch at the power plant or the jetty in front of Gill's by the bay and you could always try a Gills burger or a bowl of chowder at Gill's

office_pirate79
02-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Right on Jan...we've eaten at Gill's, so yes, that's a great consolation in the case of a skunk. Well, that's two for perch at the power plant....you guys might've made up my mind ::). That being said, we've annihilated the perch down here in the Bay Area with pile worms. Would this be effective up north too? Last time I was up, we tried to find some, but nobody even knew what they were.

office_pirate79
02-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Wait a minute...just Google mapped Gill's by the Bay and I was thinking of a different place. So, I've never been there and I think checking out that sounds a little more appealing. Thanks again for your help guys and if you think of anything else, keep 'em comin'! :)

Jan_from_Humboldt
02-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, was it fishing or catching? ;D ;D

office_pirate79
02-20-2007, 11:50 AM
It was catching ;D !!! Well, it was catching for me and fishing for my step dad >:( Apparently pile worms just don't exist in Humboldt county, which sucks, but hey...what are ya gonna do? While burying my dog that we had to put sleep, we discovered thousands of night crawlers and thought we'd give it a shot. Actually, I talked the guy at Pro Sport to make sure we weren't wasting our time and he said he's seen people slay the perch with crawlers. That guy rocks by the way. He was very informative and we had a nice talk about perch and bait.

Any way, we headed to the rocks behind the PG&E plant off of King Salmon Ave. and I nailed the first fish...a nice, fat red tail. What happens? He and my rig got hung up in the rocks. I tried to pull him up out of the crevice he was stuck in and just when I had him, well, you can guess what happened next. He shook the hook and slipped back into the drink. Dang!!! I proceed to get fairly consistent action for the rest of the time we were there. The rest of the perch were some real pretty rainbow perch. Like I said, my step dad wasn't eactly sharing the experience with me. He had one hook up and it quickly turned into a LDR. We headed back the next morning with our can of crawlers and I hooked into a couple more rainbow perch. Step dad: still 0 >:( We then headed over to Gill's and nailed the dungey crab omelette with a side of linquica....it was screamin!!! Thanks for the help & support Tarbuckle & Jan. I can truly say you helped me avoid the skunk ;)

HSUSteelie
02-20-2007, 01:48 PM
That is music to my ears!!! ;D ;D

I am heading down there on Saturday. Thanks for the report!!

I will post a report when we get back!

office_pirate79
02-20-2007, 02:00 PM
You're telling me man! I've had a small case of the skunk recently, so I was overly excited to nail some perch. Just like Fort Baker down in SF, I was only casting about 5-10 yards from the rocks. Also, this may be completely meaningless, but the first day we fished, we arrived at the start of the outgoing tide and those guys were in feed mode. Sunday, we fished the high tide and while they were there, they didn't seem to be as agressive...very subtle bites. Saturday they were slamming that bait!

Hey, check out the rocks right in front of Gill's too when you're out there. I took a look when we were walking to the truck and it looked VERY fishy. I had to head back to the Bay Area, so I didn't have a whole lot of time to check it out. Jan_from_Humboldt recommended it originally, but we just didn't get a chance to give it a shot (I'm not sure why...the power plant and Gill's are right down the frickin' street from each other :-?) Good luck man & let us know how you do!

tarbuckle
02-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Glad you had a great time. It will only get better out there as the weeks go on.
The rocks by Gills is a great place for Sharks and Rays.

Jan_from_Humboldt
02-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Great stuff!

Glad to be of some help.