PDA

View Full Version : Does any fish get trapped at low tide?

bluestar
02-16-2007, 07:50 PM
I was driving thru the San Mateo bridge right before sunset and it was real low tide; about 100 yards of bay bottom by the shore were exposed. I was wondering, when the halibuts are here, do a few of them get trapped by the retreating tide and are just there for the picking by hand??

bluestar
02-17-2007, 11:55 AM
I guess this is wishful thinking huh... ;)

metalmouth
02-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I lived at the beach from San Diego to Marina Del Rey for 20 years and my regimen was to walk the beach at sunrise on low tides every morning. The only fish that you see trapped on a continual basis are Leopard Sharks, none of which ever died from their entrapment. When pressured they could walk across the sand to the sea.

basil
02-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I've heard of unusual situations where a bunch of salmon got trapped trying to get around the wrong side of a jetty, now and then. I have also caught crab using a rake in areas where low tides leave large moat like channels.

I suspect there are situations where halibut get stuck, but I'm sure it would be an exceptional situation involving a huge tide change and maybe some flooding.

Fish_R_Us
02-19-2007, 12:10 PM
With last weeks minus tides, the bay looked pretty high and dry. The fish have been dealing with tidal flows amd minus tides since they have been swimming the oceans. Most are aware of the conditions however there are probably a couple that get stuck in the mudflats.

The only problem is that you are probably going to get yourself stuck in those same mudflats while in persuit of your prey, and will need to wait it out for the next flood tide. The sailboats, with their deep keels are also prone for getting stuck in the shallow waters.

sethonious
02-20-2007, 03:50 PM
I have often seen octopus in the tide pools at Pillar Point. I wasn't sure if it was legal to grab them, as I don't know if hand fishing is legal in California. But then again I'll bet that he probably knew exactly how to get out of there in a hurry.