PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt Squid - Wherefore art thou?

żżż
02-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Just got back from a trip out to the Cordell Banks on the New Salmon Queen. Here's the lowdown...
- Seas were high - 8 - 12 foot swells
- Winds were uncooperative - couldn't maintain position to get a straight drop to the bottom.
- Over half the boat was chumming, including me! :-[
- Everyone got skunked. Zero, zip, nada. I'd post pics, but there's nothing to post.

I'm sure the conditions played a role in our performance today, but you'd think we'd hook up with at least one squid the entire trip! Have we reached the end of the squid season? Was there a change in water conditions that may have caused them to relocate?

I'm ready for salmon...

gmdcdvm
02-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Sorry to hear about it Mike. I can totally understand about a day like that (just refer to my report from 2wks ago on the New Sea Angler). Our trip out from Bodega Bay was very similar, and we had a hard time getting into them until the last stop. It would be 4 or 5 per stop, and then nothing.

I don't know if anyone knows how long a normal "season" for squid should run. Its probably still to new of a fishery to really get it all figured out. I do know the NSA was going to run trips until the end of Feb. (maybe March, but I don't remember now what he said on the way back to port. Like you I was chumming over the side by that time).

I am surprised what changed to make the bite die like that. We'll have to keep an eye on the counts to see if anything changes. The weather and drift could have had a lot to do with it.

Better luck nex time.
G

keciga1
02-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Like Gerry said "I feel for you". The only different thing was that on our trip there were squid. At one point we had them about 20ft down and if everyone worked together and had the right gear we could have got all we wanted. I think that the squid season is coming to an end but what do I know. I think the best time for these would be mid Jan.

Ivan

ric1ric
02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Maybe the killer whales ate them ;D

Toxic_Waste
02-18-2007, 04:48 PM
If you want to score big on Humboldts, all you hafta do is find out which day I am scheduled to go out for them, then go either the day before or the day after. You will hit the jackpot every time! At least, that's how the fishing reports have been going! :D

FinshingSW
02-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Just watched a discovery channel show on humboldt squid, called them man eaters, got to be a bad way to go.

Should check it out they are going to replay it later tonight.

Mean devils, and very effeicient predators.

Taste alright if prepared and stored properly, keep in ice ASAP, don't over cook no need to soak in milk for days.

ocean_314
02-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Man thats a rough sea. I bet that a lot had to do with the fact that getting the jigs down to 400ft must have been almost been impossible. I am going to wait for calm seas before i go out.

żżż
02-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Thanks for your input guys. We're all bound to hit a dry patch now and then. I'm seeing better days ahead.

It was darn near impossible to get all the way down to the bottom. What little fishing I did do, I was able to reach bottom. A lot of others were complaining that they could not. Still others never even picked up their rod (too busy feeding the sea like a mama bird feeds her chicks).

Hey, at least I KNOW what a 12-foot swell feels and looks like. Coming off the backside of one, you're staring at a wall of water that stands higher than the boat. :o 8-) :o