PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz Peir

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
02-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I would like to know what fish can be caught off of this and what set up to use for the different fish. I am out in Santa Cruz twice a week and figure if i can wet a line for a bit and come up with some fish that would be great. Thanks

tracy-ed
02-09-2007, 07:19 AM
I've fished the Santa Cruz pier (off and on) since I was 7 years old...that's over 40 years ago. The changes I have seen....... :-/

On the plus side:you can drive on to the pier and fish right next to your car! Bait shops are on the pier. Food and drink is right there too. When the sun is out, the scenery is awesome ::) if ya'know what I mean.

The governing authorities in the People's Republic of Santa Cruz have been issuing new rules, for years now, that keep making it harder to have a good time. It started with fees to drive onto the pier, then you can't back into a parking spot, you can't drink a beer in public, I think smoking is a public offense now. Just be prepared, the great liberal experiment is in charge down there and it is out of hand :-?

The fishin' ain't what it used to be! Not even close. Best bet is to work just behind where the big waves are breaking. Shrimp, sandcrabs, blood/pile/chinese worms will get attention from the surfperch. Drifting sardines or anchovies (in the right season) have a chance at hooking a striper or salmon that is cruising/feeding in the surf zone.

The guys the go all the way out to the end of the pier and throw into the real deep water....Big Water = Big Fish theory....I've never seen it pay off.

Crabbin' used to be good, but I haven't crabbed there in years.

Sea Lions are a BIG problem >:(, and that is the other advantage of the surf-zone since these lazy furbags are less likely to bother you in the churning water.

If I was in the area with time on my hands, I would surf-fish the beaches further south........

gmdcdvm
02-11-2007, 12:16 PM
you can also look up some info on www. pierfishing.com. Under their resources link they have a list of CA piers, and you can read about the general info. on Santa Cruz.

there are a ton of sea lions out there though so who knows what the fishing is like.
G