PDA

View Full Version : Missing Sailboat? SF Gate

donzitroller
02-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Do I need to take meds again? Has this story passed by on the boards and I just missed it? Last Sunday a Microsoft guy from SB went out to the islands to scatter his mother's ashes and hasn't been heard from since.. ??

Bassassin
02-05-2007, 07:41 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure I saw it on here. Horrible story; reportedly a very knowledgeable sailor on a clear, calm day. Not a trace of the guy or boat. I haven't heard anything about it in a few days, so I assume there has been nothing new to report. :-/

donzitroller
02-06-2007, 07:04 AM
I was shocked that I hadn't read anything on here about it.. course it was a sailboater and not a fisherman.. I read last night that the search has been called off by the USCG but that private search parties were still working, with Google, Amazon, NASA, and Mocrosoft teams using satellite imagery to search for him.. how does a 40' sailboat just "disappear".. ?? Apparently search efforts were conducted from Santa Barbara all the way up to Humboldt.

Rusty_Hooks
02-06-2007, 06:54 PM
a 40 footer loaded with the best high tech equipment :-/.....

JonnyP
02-06-2007, 11:30 PM
The person in question is Jim Gray, who is a renowned research fellow for Microsoft, he was attached to the San Francisco office. For those of you that know anything about software, Jim practically invented the SQL database language. Very gifted and a thoroughly nice guy to boot.

There's been a lot of concern for him, to the point where even Google have stepped up and worked with Microsoft to try and find him.

He was last heard of on Sunday 28th at 7.30pm, after which point he disappeared without a trace.

If you're interested there's a blog here concerning the search efforts:

http://openphi.net/tenacious/

Very, very disturbing.

smithstation
02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
My thoughts would be to check south of the US border. Most boats stolen from CA end up down there per th coasties.