PDA

View Full Version : Question? Flag colors?

vito
01-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Good morning. I am really excited. Saturday will be my first time taking my boat to the outer bay betweeen Tomales and Bodega. Willbilly and I are going to do some crabbing. The last time I went out there with Dukedempsy on his boat. There was a smaller boat (like mine) out with us. They were flying a white flag on a pole so that they could be seen between swells, by oncoming boats. This seemed like a really good idea and I plan on doing the same thing. The problem is that I only have an orange flag - the type you would raise when you have a swimmer in the water. I plan to attach this to a 7 foot pole that I have in the garage - then placing it in one of my vertical pole holders. I don't know if this would be some kind of distress signal or something. Is the orange color ok, or should I make a different color flag? I like the orange idea - because it could be seen from long distances.

metalmouth
01-29-2007, 08:25 AM
International Code or Signaling Flags:

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/flags.htm

vito
01-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Very useful information. I gues the closest color would be red and that means dangerous cargo. This should be a good warning to look out and not hit me?

metalmouth
01-29-2007, 09:34 AM
The easiest way to go is put up an American Flag or a Crab or Fish Flag. That way you don't have to worry about the confusion unless you get lost and end up in some other countries waters. ;)

willbilly
02-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Yo

If'n the Willbilly is not dangerous cargo I don't know what is.

Go with or bring the orange-- :P ;) heck with Willbilly red may be in order.

See ya 4:30 V-Man

vito
02-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, this is gonna be fun. Here crabbie crabbie! Don't forget those neoprene gloves. :D