PDA

View Full Version : Fishfinder Recommendation Wanted

Loop_Dad
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi.

Shopping for the first fish finder for bass fishing. My budget is $200, but willing to go up to $300. What do you recommend?

Looking at basspro catalog, I cannot tell which features are great to have even if you pay extra and which ones are not so important. (Color/B&W, Charplotter, DSI etc.)

Thanks!

ReelJerks
06-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Why don't you tell me what you want to see. Your stated budget will have you looking at the Mark and Elite series.
Here's a link that will give you much more info and specs than the BPS catalog will, and you can then make an informed decision as to what to buy.

Lowrance Elite (http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Elite-Series/) for the Elite series, and
Lowrance Mark (http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Mark-Series/) for the Mark series.

Some things we can't answer for you simply because we don't know you. Personal stuff. Like for me, I must have at least a 8 or 10 inch display for me to be comfortable and color is a must even if I am color blind.

Check those links out and I will be more than happy to help you from there. Keep in mind that if you plan on expanding your sonar/chart layout, the Mark and Elite units are NOT network able.

Happy shopping.

Edd

Loop_Dad
06-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks, Edd. I looked at the links. Very helpful. Much better info than basspro. And they have more choices too. :) I'll spend more time and study before picking one.

I don't have a point of reference to say I need this size screen or I need color as I've never used fish finder in my life. That's the difficult part for me.

One thing I know is that with my price range, I have to pick some of the feature while leaving others. I was wondering if some of you can share personal opinion such as, 'take DSI over color' or 'I would get a big B&W screen rather than small color screen' etc.

I'll be fishing for bass in Delta and other lakes. I do not plan on using this for anything else.

AnglingWes
06-01-2012, 07:47 AM
When bass fishing, you are looking for structure and contours more than actual fish on the screen, for this reason I would rather have more detail than color if I was forced to choose between the two. The detail provided by DSi is far superior than standard sonar imaging in greyscale. Tough to beat the Mark series.

Sent from my iPhone

ReelJerks
06-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Ditto to Wes and I would even add that there is not much 'determination' involved when looking at a DSI. It really is 'what you see, is what is there!' A great choice for your first sonar unit.

Edd

Loop_Dad
06-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Wes & Edd.

I found Elite-4 Dsi which has both DSI and chart plotter but 3.5 inch screen for $320. Mark-5x DSI which has bigger screen but w/o chart for $230. Those are my two contenders, one with chart the other with bigger screen.

I need one clarification if I may...with chart plotter, you can still use it to store way points without buying fishing chip from Hot Sport or Navionics, correct? I've read through the manual from Lowrance, but I couldn't figure this out. If I had to buy one of these on top of the unit, that will go beyond my budget.

AnglingWes
06-02-2012, 09:57 AM
You can save waypoints on the base map (built into unit) without purchasing a map chip.

Sent from my iPhone