PDA

View Full Version : Upper Blue Lake (6/2/12)

mtn. man
06-02-2012, 09:19 PM
After sitting around the house this morning trying to figure out what to do, the wife and I decided to head up to Blue lakes. It was 10:00 am when we left the house, so we weren't expecting to get into any kind of hot bite. Arrived at upper Blue at 11:45 to find the wind blowing pretty hard (no big surprise ) and the lake a good 8-10 ft. lower than expected. As we thought, the bite was off. Caught one bow on PB, then nothing until 2 pm. after that it was ON. http://www.imhooked.com/forumsyabb/Templates/Forum/default/cheesy.gif Tossed blue/silver castmasters until 5:30 and headed home.
Ended up keeping two limits for the smoker, and c&r'd 5 or 6 more small shakers. Brought home 9 bows, and 1 brookie. Other that getting sunburned, I'd say it ended up being a pretty good day.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg554/markb956/100_0121.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg554/markb956/100_0118.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg554/markb956/100_0120.jpg

CAL.NDN
06-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Good job. Smoked fish is always well worth getting a sun burn for IMO.. dang that brokie as big as the bows pretty cool..

iggybabble
06-03-2012, 08:56 AM
No kidding on the wind! You can see how roiled all the water close to shore is in the pictures! Looks like a low elevation reservoir rather than the typical crystal clear high Sierra water......I will be in that area in the next couple days, I might have to try this out!

mtn. man
06-03-2012, 09:16 AM
I talked to a couple guys coming in from trolling, they told me they had caught two limits of fish and a canoe. I guess some guy had flipped his canoe out there earlier that morning. They said they didn't even notice him until he had already swam back to shore. BBBRRRRRRRR! He lost everything to the bottom of the lake. His fishing gear, trolling motor and battery. I think he's damn lucky he made it back to shore.
The discoloration you see close to the bank in the photos is mostly pollen.

pcwa_guy
06-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Good news to my ears!!! Thats a great lake!! Have you ever fished nearby Meadow lake?

mtn. man
06-03-2012, 10:40 AM
You bet.....My dad worked for PG&E. Back in the 80's my folks would live in the PG&E cabin there at Lower Blue lake. My Dad would control water levels at the lakes, as well as roads, etc... The 12' Valco was always chained up to a tree there at lower blue right across the road from the cabin. I've fished all the local lakes up there.I spent MANY a good day there. I can remember a trip my Dad ( RIP) and I took up to Meadow lake. We threw the boat in the back of my truck, and hauled it up to do some trolling there. It was right in the middle of a major thunder storm. The wind was howlin' ,thunder and lightning, and hailing like crazy. But the fishing was ON FIRE!!! That's what it's ALL about....

Trout Spanker
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
For Meadow lake, is there a boat launch for a 23 footer? I'd prefer to use a 23' vs. my sea eagle inflatable. Since I'm on the subject, what are the boat restrictions for Blue Lakes and are there boat launches there as well as it has been several years since I've been there? I'm set on trying Meadow next month, has any body fished there lately, any advise comments, stocking reports, etc. about Meadow?

mtn. man
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Meadow lake is a very small lake. Forget about even trying to get a 23' boat in there. I'm not sure you could even get back in there on the road alone. Lower blue has a launch area right by the dam, You might get your boat in there if it doesn't require a deep launch. I think a boat of that size might be alittle overkill at lower blue as well though. IMO
Upper blue has deeper launchs on the East shore. I could see maybe getting a boat of that size in there. It's also much bigger than the lower lake and deeper.

I don't know.........you might just want to leave the big boat at home and bring the inflatable.Your call......

Trout Spanker
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks mtn. man. I actually meant to ask about Twin Lake instead of Meadow as I read at some point the DFG had planted there and figured it didn't get fished as much for potential holdovers; however, now that I see it on Google Earth it is very shallow let alone small. There are so many lakes in that area. Actually the 23' is my friends boat which I have yet to see as he has been working on it since its purchase. I contacted him today to confirm it's size and I was wrong it's a 17'. We're setting up a plan for attack on the highway 88 and 50 area for next month and Twin and the Blue's are high potential spots. A bit more hesitant to take the inflatable, (don't want to be fished out or lose my gear) its get scary with white caps in that weather balloon I call a boat.

mtn. man
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
The 17' boat will do fine in upper and lower blue lakes. I used to take my 16' in there all the time. Good luck guys.....