PDA

View Full Version : Rigs for using bait for Lings

Bosco
11-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Do any of you guys have tips for how to rig up Mackerel and Dabs for Ling Cod? *I used a regular leader with a drop off and a bar below, but the bait kept spinning around the line and making a twisted up mess.

Any advice is appreciated!

Bosco

Master_Caster
11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Try adding a bead chain swivel as the connector between your main line and your leader. I've found bead swivels to work better than most others in reducing line twist.

MC

Muddler
11-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Bosco; try a trap rig.Tie a treble hook on the bottom of a three ft. piece of line,then snell a octopus hook on the line above the treble so it slides on the line.You can adjust *the length for the size bait used. Tie this on a 3-way swivel,then add a 2ft. line to the 3rd eye of the 3-way for your desired weight, like a halibut drift rig. Good luck

GCinGV
11-23-2006, 07:13 PM
I use a rig thatís similar to Muddlers except with a slider for the weight.
One problem I ran into using the sliding hook rig though was; because the bait is set higher up the line the Lings often bite right through the line. After loosing several fish I now use an 8Ē piece of non-coated 60 lb steel wire on only the portion with the hooks and tie the leader to a loop in the steel and it solved that problem. At first I tried an all steel leader but the first time the steel was dragged and curled over a rock you could brake that 60 lb wire like it was 2 lb test. I found that if you use the wire only on the baited portion or the rig thatís not a problem.
GC

dbass
11-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Three way swivel, live mackeral!

wmgraphics
11-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Yes, mackeral!
Live one on a sliding rig down bottom and a fillet (w/ skin) on shrimpfly up top (non sliding). Make sure the live fish cannot touch the wieght on bottom or the baited hook up top. Giving your live bait a short leash (6" - 10" bait leader and 6" for sliding leader- swivel to swivel) short running space makes the bait freak out and brings in the bad boys.
You can pick up a bag of frozen spanish macks at the asian food store near you... cheap!
Never had a problem with twisting ever. Ding.. Ding.. Dinner time!

slick88
11-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes, mackeral!
You can pick up a bag of frozen spanish macks at the asian food store near you... cheap!
Never had a problem with twisting ever. Ding.. Ding.. Dinner time!

I've seen fresh (or thawed) macks at the Asian supermarkets for as low as 79 cents a pound recently. I don't recall if they were Spanish or not.

I've done well with sand dabs catching lings on a three-way swivel. The Asian markets will sometimes have those too, though less frequently than macks.

wmgraphics
11-28-2006, 02:57 PM
If seen them also, fresh ahhh... I dont know. I usually use most of the frozen in a chum bag off my anchor and a few for fillet.
I've never looked for sand dabs, thanks for the 411. I'm going out of Fort Bragg on Thursday for a crab combo trip, last day for combo. I'll hit the fish market before I go, the boat bait they supply is mostly squid, naaa I'll pass on catching blues all day.

I'll post a report Thursday night... oh and if any sniffers got the day off, join us, we have a party of 4 so far and the weather is lookin bien! They are limiting on crabs and I think the indiviudual limit is 10 per. PM me.

dinkslayer415
12-06-2006, 09:49 PM
3 way