PDA

View Full Version : My favorite breakfast

Steve079
06-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Is biscuits and gravy, hands down. A couple years ago, I started making bread, then french bread, and finally now I've been making buttermilk biscuits from scratch. Going through this has taught me that the simplest things are the best, and often the hardest to perfect. With just a few ingredients, your final product has nothing to hide behind, seasoning wise, or other wise.

I've joked with my wife, that if I had wrote a cookbook, it would be based on recipes with 5 ingredients or less. Anymore then that, and I can't remember how to make them.

I'm guessing there are more then a few of you who do Biscuits and gravy, after getting the biscuits to where I was happy with them, I started making the milk gravy too. After a dozen or so trial batches, I got it to where I'm happy with the results

It is sure a lot easier to buy a tube of Pillsbury Grande biscuits, and a pack of Schilling gravy mix. But, I think the scratch made stuff tastes better.

What do you think?

CATKILLER
06-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Steve
Biscutis and gravy is my favorite too with chicken fried steak & eggs
when you make it your self with fresh ings. The best part is seeing the
happy faces when you serve it. Gives you a great feeling.

CK :jumping-smiley-011:

okie
06-10-2012, 03:07 PM
bacon, gravy made with the bacon drippings, buttermilk biscuits, eggs over medium/w tabasco, all fixed on an old woodburning stove using hickory.
last time i had that was in 84 in lafollette, Tn. at my ex-other-in-laws. she knew i cant cook, and tried about 8 or 10 times over 4 days to teach me how to fix those biscuits. hers were about 2.5 inches thick, light and fluffy, mine, you
could have rock fights with them, and she stood right beside me and watched as i mixed everything, rolled it, greased the pan, etc. she didn't understand why they came out like that.
thats why i gave up cooking and started buying pilsbury.
be safe

Delta_Rose
06-11-2012, 07:37 PM
For all you guys traveling through Winters on the way up to Berryessa, sometime you've got to try the Em's Chicken Fried Steak at the Putah Creek Cafe in downtown Winters- A pan fried seasoned Angus round beef steak with two eggs, Yukon Gold homefries and a buttermilk biscuit covered in white sausage gravy. Oooohhhhh Aunt Bee........ ;)

Putah Creek Cafe (http://www.putahcreekcafe.com)

Best I've ever had anywhere....

Steve079
06-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I just made my first trip to Berry last week, I wish I had posted this thread before the trip. Chicken Fried steak is one of those dishes that is usually barely edible, and to have a great one is something special.

I may have to make that trip again!

luckylundy
06-14-2012, 10:12 AM
I like Gravy so much... That if I would've lived in ancient times... wine wouldn't be the nectar of the gods, Gravy would be.
Gravy over anything is good, Biscuits and gravy are my favorite breakfast by far, But a few years ago I didn't have the ingredients to make biscuits one morning...So I just made some toast and I got to say " Toast and gravy is gooddddd"
As for my favorite restaurant, I would have to say, Black bear has the best biscuits and gravy in my area.

Dan,

Fishbucket
06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
OOOH Doggy !

I loves me some biscuits and gravy...

Black bear diner is ways up above Dennys... But we've found ' Lumberjacks' to be a touch beyond that.

Nothing touches homemade, even the rocks okies make... it's just in another universe.

I myself have gotten into Bread bakin'.. have not tried the sour doughs yet, not a big fan.

Thanks for the tip Andrew!

okie
06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
fb, the best gravy/biscuits i've had other than my ex's mother, was at cracker barrels back east.
in 04 on 1 of our trips to oregon, northern ca, we stopped at a blk bear restaurant to eat, jeong
found a cockroach in her mashed potatos. they offered a differnt lunch, we settled without paying
and stopped at a mcdonalds. haven't been back to blk bear since.
a few years ago when i was in the Navy, we had 'creamed chipped beef', it was real thin sliced beef in gravy,
sos was more like a spaghetti sauce with ground beef on toast. the last time i had chipped beef was in the
snack bar on camp walker, taegu, korea, in 84.
maybe at the next pyramid fest i'll make some gravy and just buy some rolls to put it on. as
a matter of fact, i think i'll make a little gravy now for me. i have a can of pilsbury for the biscuits,
the old lady has an office dinner tonight after work, so i'll just tell her a had some yoplait yogurt.
be safe

Delta_Rose
06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
the old lady has an office dinner tonight after work, so i'll just tell her a had some yoplait yogurt.
be safe

Sometimes it's just easier if they don't know:lipsrsealed::p

reeltor
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Steve- Biscuits and gravy, yes! My grandmother (rest her soul) came to California from Missouri in the 30's and she was a tough old lady! Raised 5 kids and a lot of grandkids, and we all ate biscuits and gravy whenever we visited, going clear back to the 1950's. Thick sliced bacon fried just right, too. She always made extra biscuits and we would cover them with her homemade jams (blackberry, apricot and orange marmalade). Her berry cobblers were to die for. Don't even get me started on her Thanksgiving dinners... thank you for bringing back some memories. By the way, I can't make buttermilk biscuits worth a darn, but fortunately even tho the gene skipped over me, my daughter inherited it. I think I will give her a call...

Reeltor

okie
06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
reeltor, i dont know why i couldn't make the biscuits with me MIL watching and coaching me. i do
believe the reason most people cant make good biscuits is beacause she use lard, fat rendered from
butchering a hog. if she didn't have that she used crisco, the white stuff out of the gallon can i think it was.
thats like making good homemade gravy, you need to cook some bacon or sausage to get the fat to use
for the flavor. just sittin here thinkin about it makes my mouth water.
please get your daughters receipe for biscuits, i give it a try while the old ladt is working.
be safe

Steve079
06-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Biscuits are easy to make, good ones are not easy. There must be a millions recipes, and it seems the simplest ones are the best. I wish I could try a really good biscuit, so I would have a bench mark. I've used butter, and Crisco. I used recipes with an egg, with buttermilk, and with regular milk.

One constant I've found, is that the standard 2cup of flour batch, yields me about 4 biscuits on the first cut. Then 2, then one. Each "cut" comes out a little flatter. The first 4 are perfect. I'd like to know how the to get every one a perfect biscuit.

Aside form buying them in a tube.

I member having gravy on toast, my aunt called it SOS, it had so much pepper in it, I had trouble eating it, took me 35 years to get over it.

okie
06-16-2012, 09:57 PM
steve, like i said, i cant make biscuits, but if your first cut is great and they
get worse with each cut, i'd say you are probably kneading the dough too much.
as for the gravy, imho good gravy needs a lot of blk peper.

good cooking

be safe

ps: next time you make pancakes, try putting some diced halepenos
in the batter, they're ggggrrrreeeaaattt.

reeltor
06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Okie- I haven't forgotten about your request for my daughter's recipe. She's out of town the rest of this week, but I think I will just ask her to come up and fix me some biscuits and gravy, and we will both have her recipe! I will get it to you.

Reeltor

Steve079
06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I've been tweaking the ingredients a bit. Sunday, I think I got it right. At least, in my limited experience. I've gone thru more flour making biscuits this past month or so, then I have in my entire life. (sounds impressive, but I never made a biscuit from scratch until this year ;) )

I went and got a proper biscuit cutter, which I'll try out in the morning; my tomato paste can wasn't sharp enough, and was crushing the edges. I made my own baking powder, and made some buttermilk. The home brew baking powder helped a lot, I don't think curdling my own milk added anything better, but buttermilk gives the biscuits a nice tang. No gravy on this weekends batches, you can't taste them with all that gravy on them, and besides, my daughter gave me some homemade pepper jelly, ( red jalapenos) and that is real nice on them. Not too sweet, and a little kick on the end.

We'll see how they turn out.

Okie, you're right. This last time, I barely touched the leftover dough, except to gently push it back into a round, and it did make a difference.

dougw181
06-19-2012, 11:33 PM
You guys have my mouth watering. Anybody want to share their recipes and not just stories. I have used Bisquick for years but would love to have a great Buttermilk Biscuit and Gravy recipe. Thanks, Doug

Steve079
06-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I'll tell you what I've learned, for what its worth. This is a blend of the different recipes I've seen, so I'm not claiming its an original.

2 cups AP flour
1 tbs fresh baking powder. Don't use stuff that has been in you cupboard, since the 49'ers last won a Super Bowl, they wont turn out.
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbs white sugar If your making these to eat just with butter, the sugar is good. If your making milk gravy, leave it out if you want. I like taking the leftover biscuits for lunch, so I always leave it in

Combine these dry ingredients in a bowl.

I use the Crisco (plain, not butter flavored) in the sticks. Cut 1/3 of a refrigerated stick, into cubes, and then cut it into the flour mix. You can use a cutter, or 2 knives, but don't use your hands, you want the mix as cold as possible. When the Crisco looks size of peas, add 1 cup ice cold buttermilk, and mix just until its blended. It will be wet, but if you have flour left in the bottom of the bowl, add a bit (1 tbls) of butter milk, until its picked up.

Flour the counter top generously, turn out the dough, then dust your hands with flour, and quickly, but gently pat the dough out until it's between and inch and 3/4's of an inch thick. Reflour your hands as neccessary, then use a biscuit cutter, (1 1/2" works best) and cut out your biscuits. You should get about 6 with the first cut. Place these on a cookie sheet, and gently reform your dough, and cut again, getting maybe 3-4. You'll get down to just a little ball of dough, just pat it into shape, and place it with the rest of them. Place the biscuits with the edges just touching, (makes them more tender), brush with melted butter, and place in you PREHEATED 450 oven, for 12 minutes. Remove when they just start turning golden brown on top.

You can use a glass, or can, to cut the biscuits, but the edges get crushed, and they don't rise like they will with a cutter. I made a bunch of batches, before I got one, they still taste good, just don't rise and look as nice.

Next, after you do a few batches, and get it down, you'll want to learn to make milk gravy with either sausage, or bacon. Mmmm.

I'm making this in the morning, biscuits and gravy, Using some pepper bacon end cuts, works great.

TOJIACK FLOATMAN
08-02-2012, 11:13 PM
It's all about the GRAVY !!! Canned biscuits will do as will toast and even pancakes are good but NO SCRIMPING ON THE GRAVY !!! My country gravy is SO good I could serve it over an old boot and folks would eat it and smile. Hope my brother doesnt read this, he has some serious questions about the last time he came over for breakfast ,,,