PDA

View Full Version : Turlock lake?

CHEY6714
06-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Has anyone ever fished this lake? I am working very close to it and would like to get a line in the water someday after work. I have never fished this lake but I have heard the trout bite year round due to the cold water run off. I have heard by the dam or at the inlet is the best. We will bank fishing so I am thinking by the inlet were the water is the coldest. Any advise would be appreciated. Also are there any other lakes close to Turlock you can suggest?
Thank You

RideNfish
06-10-2012, 07:39 AM
By the inlet is like you said. Coldest... Depending on flows you can fish it like a stream and walk down the inlet then fish it like a lake where the water enters using a variety of methods as you would anywhere. For some reason I haven't fished it this year much. I was able to fish thru June last year but the fish were getting marks on their sides like a parasite or something as the water warms. Someone will know what it's called.

I haven't read up on it recently but they were going to close the lake due to the budget. The inlet is free to fish but the dam area is $10 I think. The dam isn't very deep at all so IMO I wouldn't fish that for trout now.

If you go please report how the fishing is good or bad. Fishing reports only work if we hear all of it. If only good reports are posted then "EVERYWHERE" is on fire :kermit:

Oh, and welcome to the boards and we look forward to your contributions!

:cheers:

CHEY6714
06-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info. We will be throwing some lures in the inlet as well as some pb in the lake side. I am looking forward to fishing a new lake. I will post a report asap. Any advise on what lures or pb works best for you?

shadbuster
06-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Hey that is one of my favorite lakes, RideNFish is right on the money about the inlet being the best bet now that it is hot, you can still catch fish in the day use area but you have to get there early and you will most likely catch less fish there now and the dam side will get HOT as there is no shade there. As for lures I like tossing gold kastmaters or a #3 gold blue fox spinner, for PB any standard color would work. Watch out for rattlesnakes though when you fish the inlet! Good luck and let us know how you do.