PDA

View Full Version : Gravy for your biscuits

Steve079
06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
You can use country style sausage, or bacon in your gravy. I get the bacon from Grocery Outlet; a 4lb bag of end cuts runs 5 bucks, and is perfect for this recipe.

I divide it up into about 5 packs, and freeze them for later usage.

Chop one pack into small pieces, and cook until just crsipy. Remove the bacon, you should have 2-3 tablesoons of bacon goodness left in the skillet. Add a half stick of butter. I put about a cup of flour on a paper plate, it just makes it easier to add to the melted butter. Add gradually, and keep whisking it smooth. I add flour until it just about won't run back together, then keep whisking for a minute or two, to cook the flour. Add in some milk, a little at a time, until the gravey reaches the right consitency. It will take almost a quart. I don't belive you can have too much gravy. If you need to make smaller, child like portions, then cut your butter in half and flour in half, but you will run out of gravy before the biscuits are gone, so don't blame me. :)

Add the bacon back in, crumbling as you go.
Season with pepper to taste

insearchoffish
06-24-2012, 09:30 PM
I love my biscuits and gravy, Ill give it a whirl!!! Thanks for the new recipe, cant go wrong with butter dont know why I haven't thought of that before.

Steve079
06-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Just to be clear, on the butter to flour ratio, it is equal parts of each.
For example, 3 tablespoons of flour and butter would probably work for about 8-12 ounces of milk. But, I've never made that small of a batch, so I can't say for sure. The gravy will thicken as it sits, so if its a little thin, it will get there in a few minutes of low heat and keep stirring. I use cast iron, so once its ready, I turn the burner to warm, and just let it sit.

Some recipes use vegetable oil instead of butter, some just use pan drippings. I use the pan drippings and butter. You may just want to try a couple until you hit on the one you like best. One thing I've noticed, the country style sausage we get now, is so lean, it doesn't cook off enough fat to make gravy, unless you do add butter. Thank God they don't take all the fat off of real bacon!

TOJIACK FLOATMAN
08-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I like making my base for country gravy the same as you do using the bacon and add a Emeril type "POW" kick it up as in a seperate pan I crumble up about a tennis ball size chunk of country sausage , brown it, drain it really well , add it to the bacon gravy and simmer low for about a good 1/2 hour and use a potatoe masher to frequently moosh up the sausage sednding the flavor better through the gravy. Aw for Petes sake,,, guess I better set some sausage out cuz I am DEFINITELY havin some for breakfast over nice heavy baking powder biscuits. Try this on your pancakes sometime too. Quick, easy, tasty especially seved with some canned peaches or pears. ( NOT RECOMMENDED FOR WAIST WATCHERS )