PDA

View Full Version : HMB Crabs & Rockies

CORN
11-18-2006, 07:28 PM
The forecast looked great so we were able go crabbing for the first time this season. *Dropped one pot just south of the green can. *Dropped the other 3 pots at 140 feet. *8:15am. * We used a mixture of squid, anchovies, mackeral & rockfish carcasses. *We then went to pick up our limit of rockies, including one nice Copper (finally get to try one) and a nice olive. *The rest were blues. *Only shaker lings today. *We then pulled the deep pots at 12:15pm. *Got our limits with the first 2 pots. *Threw back 11 crabs. *All crabs were male. *Loaded up the pots and then checked the shallow pot. *Wrong location because it only had a few rock crabs.

Absolutely beautiful weather today. *My wife's favorite seafood is crab, so she was VERY happy today, as you can see:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3315/hmb111806axl7.jpg
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5624/hmb111806brw2.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7738/hmb111806cca7.jpg

FatCat
11-18-2006, 07:42 PM
That is an awesome pull! Congrats on a successful day on the pond. My wife loves crab as well and I am hoping I can convince her to come along with Fort_Bragger and I when he gets back from bagging his elk in Colorado. I keep telling her if she comes along that will mean twice as many crab to eat! [smiley=chowtime.gif]

hqly2001
11-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Good job on the crabs corn.. let's go tomorrow! lol

CORN
11-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, gotta bring the wives whenever you get the chance. Helps explain all the fishing gadgets we need to buy! ::)

That Ace Line Hauler sure makes life easier when crabbing. No more back aches.

hqly2001
11-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, those bright smiles are priceless ;D

Chetco_Indian
11-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Is this Eureka nice water /no fog/no wind and a limit to boot? Nice post.

CORN
11-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Is this Eureka nice water /no fog/no wind *and a limit to boot? Nice post.

Thanks. It was Half Moon Bay. No wind and very flat. The forecast called for very little/no wind with 7-9 ft swells every 12 seconds. The 7-9 foot swells never showed up. It remained relatively flat throughout the day. You can get some idea by looking at the first picture.

Master_Caster
11-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey nice haul there Corn. I think its awesome you're wife fishes with you. Let me know if she has any younger sisters. :)

CORN
11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey nice haul there Corn. I think its awesome you're wife fishes with you. Let me know if she has any younger sisters. *:)

Lol, Nelson. Yeah she does, but they're both married, and neither of them fish. :-/ :)

fisher_sv
11-20-2006, 01:39 PM
nice pull. do you guys ever knock into them outside of bodega or tomales?

fisher_sv
11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
by the way my name is Alan. 1st time user on the site and thats only cause i spend the majority of my time on the water. just want to say hello yall, and i hope you were on the water this weekend soaking in some of that salty bliss. man it was nice out there

CORN
11-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the boards Alan. No, I've never tried crabbing out of Bodega. I fish there strictly for salmon. The salmon season was so strange this year, I only went once (out of Bodega). Hopefully next year will be a good one.

UNCLE_OTTO2
11-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Wow- that looks like fun and good eatin'. I'm heading up to Winchester Bay in Oregon for Thanksgiving to do some crabbing. It is my first time & I'm going with some buddies that have gone before. Should have four new traps from Cabela's on my step when I get home.

Looking for any useful advise. (And where did you get that cool hoist?)

Also hoping to get some fishing in while we are waiting.

--Jeff

Redwine
11-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey Corn,

Looks like you had an awesome day out there!!

Question, where did you purchase your Ace Line Hauler, and what did it cost you?

Thanks!

CORN
11-21-2006, 06:18 PM
UNCLE_OTTO2 and Redwine,

Thanks. *The crab pot puller is The Brutus Ace Line Hauler. *I got it for $499 at the Fisherman's Warehouse in San Jose ... the one on De Anza. *It attaches directly to my Scotty downrigger mount. *Since I didn't have an electric downrigger, I had to buy an adapter for another $20. *Works great!!! *I'll never pull a pot by hand again.

It pulls up to 100lbs at 100 feet per minute. *There are other pot pullers out there so shop around and see what's best for you. *I hear Electradyne is good too. *Here's the Ace website:

http://acelinehauler.com/

As for crabbing advice, I'm no pro. *But, make sure you're in a sandy area and go as deep as you can. *Use FRESH bait and leave it there for as long as you can (don't pull it up several times a day). *It takes a while for the scent to make its way down current, and it takes time for those crabs to make their way to your pots. *By checking them too frequently, you break the scent trail. *Squid, mackeral, salmon and rockfish parts are good baits. *Good luck!

MB_Kevin
11-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Great post and day out there Corn.

The only thing is where are the pic of the rock fish :P

Those are some nice crabs. I have caught some down at the pier but have never figured out the right way to clean the meat out of the shell and the legs don't have alot of meat. One day I will learn. I wish we could catch some snow or king crabs around here or maybe some lobsters.

CORN
11-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks MB. *Taking a picture of a limit of mostly blues isn't that impressive so we didn't bother. *If I were to take a pic of a limit of smaller fish, I'd want to have a little more color in it, like this:

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/7537/hmb102906ta8.jpg

I caught 2 lings and a limit of colorful rockies a few weeks ago while fishing with hqly2001. *He caught a nice colorful limit as well. *For some reason, the Chinas were biting well that day. *I didn't post a report because I thought sniffers were tired of reading my redundant rockfish reports at the time.

Last week, that olive wasn't digital scale worthy but I did snap a pic of it. *My wife was falling down when I snapped it. *Funny pic. *No need to embarass her, right?