PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: going on charter boat

Adoboat
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I would like to go out in a charter and would appreciate some info from my fellow sniffers.
Can I use my rod and reel that usually use for bait fishing or trolling for striped bass. Med/heavy rod, 60 pound braid line?
Should I use a dodger/flasher?
What kind of tackle should I bring? Type of weights, size; size of swivels? Hooks?
How do I set up my line? Should I wait to get on the boat and ask the deck hand or other fishermen?
Can I use an extra rod/reel with a line counter and use it as a downrigger?
Thanks!

Big Game
07-02-2012, 12:09 PM
ADO,

If this is your first time I wouldn't buy a bunch of crap - you are just going to waste money. You will only be able to use One Rod (you CAN bring a spare usually, if you wish). A 30 pound class Rod and Reel (conventional - NOT SPINNING) with star or lever drag is good. You will use a 3 pound Ball to get down to the Salmon and will usually lose the ball when a good Salmon hits (it's on a sinker release on your leader). I think all of the Marinas have the leaders, balls, releases, etc...you will need - in a "kit".

Most boats don't like you to use flashers - especially is you are a first timer and NEVER anywhere except the back of the boat. I would go with the standard setup to start with unless that's not working -

Good Luck, Big Game

Adoboat
07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks Big Game.
I will shop for a "kit" at Big 5 or a local bait shop. I'll be in Reno for the 4th, maybe I'll stop by Cabelas.

The second rod isn't for fishing. The second rod would be for use as a downrigger, so I don't lose my weight. I have the rod and reels. I just don't want to lose the weight to bottom of the ocean. Those weights are expensive.

So, a rod and reel I use for trolling for stripers, with 60 braid, is ok to use for salmon on a charter boat?

nayr
07-02-2012, 03:39 PM
unfortunately you will have to lose the weight, with twenty five lines in the water already, it wouldnt be good to add another one holding a weight for your salmon to wrap itself around.and try to get to the back of the boat with that braid since you wont be able to match the angle of all the other rods with mono. if you want to buy your gear ahead of time you will need a sinker release, some three or two and a half pound weights, and about a five foot leader with a good barrel swivel in the middle tied out off forty lb test with a barbless circle hook on the end... or you could wait to see whos running a mooching trip and you wont lose any weights

Big Game
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Yes, that is a good point. Braided line will be at a different "Angle" and depth than the other lines if the other rods have mono (which is still what I use) and could cause problems on the port or starboard sides. The Back of the boat is a little less crucial to depth or weight differences. Tangles are going to happen for sure - it's just the way it is and if there is a good bite going on sometimes it's Pandamonium.....

ADO - if you fish the sides you are pretty much at the mercy of the rod above and below you - unless you are at the Bow or last rodholder in the stern, but I have seen some nice fish caught on the sides and the bow and I am sure some guys swear by it. I know a guy that chooses to fish right near the Wheelhouse because the skipper is right there and the Sonar / Fishfinder etc...is usually within view....

You will figure it out.....

Big Game

Adoboat
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for your responses. I'll take out my braid and put mono in. Donate the weights to the Pacific. I'll try to get to the boat early to get a spot at the back of the boat.

MVP
07-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I recently went out on a charter boat in the bay and did pretty good. The one we used was the one out of Emeryville. I caught my limit for the day and even one little shaker to boot. I even won the big fish of the day pot! My big one was close to about 20lbs and my second one was about 14! It was a great time out there the water got a little rough on us but a little bit of the dramamean or how ever you spell it and I was good to go!

iggybabble
07-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Yes, ditch the braid, you need 25-30 lb mono, a sinker release and a 6 ft long leader. You can buy the party boat style leaders at any good saltwater bait and tackle store. Typically the sinkers are the same price or even lower if you buy them on the boat. Baits will be made up ahead of time on hooks the boat provides. Leave your flashers at home, with lots of lines in the water, they are unnecessary, and cause more tangles and lost fish. You don't need to get there early, the sides of the boat are just as good as the stern. I'd recommend Sausalito, it's a shorter ride to the fishing grounds assuming your going out of SF Bay.

iggybabble
08-09-2012, 09:48 AM
BTW, Nayr you don't use or need a circle hook while trolling! Only for mooching. Ive never seen a trolling rig with a circle hook on it, I suppose you could put a circle on a rotary salmon killer, but your catch rate would plummet! You are correct calling for the barbless hook, no matter how you fish for salmon in the ocean that's a requirement! The gear that's used on a charter boat, unless it's a little 6pack( 6 passenger, uninspected vessel) is real specialized due to the peculiarities present on a boat with 15-25 passengers on board. If in doubt, call the bait shop, or the boats owner for recommended tackle, and listen to the Capt and deckhand! Trust me, they want you to catch fish! Early limits mean they enjoy a less than 12 hour workday.