PDA

View Full Version : Frog legs ?

outdoordude
07-13-2012, 08:09 AM
I was at the market last night getting something from the butcher counter when the butcher said we also have frog legs, "just got them in". they looked good and sizable. any suggestions on recipes, spices, grilling...etc.

OYD
07-13-2012, 09:36 AM
My wife has just dredged the legs in flour with a little salt and pepper mixed in, shake off the excess dry flour and into a hot frying pan seasoned with butter. The legs are dry before dredging so little flour sticks but just makes a nice light crust/crunch on the outside. YUM

outdoordude
07-13-2012, 11:02 AM
thanks LA found some recipes after some digging sounds pretty good will try and post results.

tanyahh1
07-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Fresh frogs legs at a butcher counter? Where do you shop? Frogs legs are delicious and will work well with anything you do to chicken.

one of my favorites are the fried like LA said, but another way is throwing it in a Vietnamese curry dish such as this:
Vietnamese Curried Frog Legs Recipe (Wild Game ~ Pan Fried/Sauteed) (http://www.all-fish-seafood-recipes.com/index.cfm/recipe/Vietnamese_Curried_Frog_Legs)
I add some coconut milk towards the end to give it a richness.If you are nearby a Vietnamese supermarket, pick up some rice paddy herbs, rough chop and sprinkle on done dish off the heat. It will give it a lemony fresh cumin brightness to the dish. MMMmm!

outdoordude
07-14-2012, 05:51 AM
curry sounds awesome, saw them at save mart in truckee. my GF is all over it and ready to try them.

okie
07-14-2012, 09:27 AM
i aint had good frog legs since i left ok. LA, thats the way we fried them, just dipped in
flour/salt/pepper. the last time i had frog legs was in 89 in taiwan, at our wedding dinner we had frog leg soup, tasty but not as good as fried, the curry sounds good. if i can find them up here i might try to fix them like i do the shrimp for the p'mid fest.
be safe

tanyahh1
07-14-2012, 09:50 AM
curry sounds awesome, saw them at save mart in truckee. my GF is all over it and ready to try them.

Let us know how it goes! I highly recommend adding at least the coconut milk at the end if you can. We eat this with some nice fresh crusty bread. hmmm maybe I should head out to the market and make this myself now!

outdoordude
08-10-2012, 06:18 AM
was at the save mart in truckee and they got a fresh batch in so I picked some up going to try them tonight. giving the fry method a go.

nvthis
08-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Fresh frogs legs at a butcher counter? Where do you shop?

They are Chinese imports..

The valley has superb opportunities for catching your own. Sloughs running through the valley are prime. I go to a private pond and there are thousands of huge bullfrogs. Unfortunately, I am on foot and it can be a challenge to get more than 15 to 20 in a night (3 or so hours worth)

BIG_ONE
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Sizzling hot wok, add peanut/ground oil and butter, add minced garlic and toss in the frog legs. Add salt and put the lid on until it's halfway cooked. Add oyster sauce(I use Panda brand), soy sauce(dark pearl soy gives a better rich flavor on the frog) and give it a quick stir. Throw in some red and green bell pepper(chopped), onion, tomato, cilantro, and green/spring onion. Before being fully cooked, throw in some black beans(canned black beans is great - it's tough to get fresh black bean), give it a quick stir and puts lid back on to keep the moisture in. Once the frog legs is tender and the meat pulls away like chicken with similar texture, it's ready and serve with any side dish you wish to choose. Happy feasting...
P.S. - black pepper is a good seasoning if you wish to use it.

outdoordude
08-12-2012, 04:51 AM
big one that sounds awesome thats the way I like to cook, I think I'll add the garlic later so as not to burn it doin that tonite :-)

outdoordude
08-13-2012, 04:15 AM
I should have taken a picture they were that good. stir fry style hot oil till golden added mushrooms, garlic, asparigas cut into spears, cherry tomatoes and splashed with teriyaki sauce. wow delish. I think next time I'll add some heat to them. thanks for the advise.

WLShafor
08-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Frog's Legs la Parisienne

1.) 16 large frog legs boiling water juice of 1/2 lemon salt and pepper, a pinch of each 2 eggs, well-beaten fine dry bread crumbs fat, for deep frying Onion cream sauce 2 tbsp. butter 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour 1 1/2 c. light cream 1/2 tsp. salt 2 tbsp. minced onion 1 tbsp. minced parsley 1 egg, well-beaten

2.) Blanch frog legs in boiling water with lemon juice and salt and pepper.

3.) Dip legs into eggs and roll in bread crumbs. Deep fry at 370F for 2 to 3 minutes until legs are tender (check the temperature of the fat with a thermometer). Serve with onion sauce.Drain legs and pat dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoordude
08-14-2012, 04:49 AM
yea we were talking last night how they would be good deep fried, maybe even tempura style, served with some stir fried veggies with some chili sauce I like me some heat.

shasta_steve
08-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Lollibowl Resturant, in South Sacramento, on Stockton Blvd serves them deep fried. I have never tried them there but my wife eats them sometimes. It is a good cheap place to eat. Not fancy but they give you plenty of decent food for your money. Also, as I am sure most of you know, just about any of the Asian Supermarkets in the area will have them and many even have live frogs.

We used to "jig" them when I was a kid on Big Lake in Shasta County when I was a kid. I am not sure how many frogs are still there now but then there were lots.

TOJIACK FLOATMAN
09-23-2012, 07:05 PM
The last time I had Frog Legs they were at a collective wild game pot luck dinner amoung about 8 good friends who emptied out their freezers over the X-Mas holidays. The fella cooking them did some in a home made hot wings sauce that was similar to the stuff you get in the stores but no vinegar as the accelerator. Pretty sure he said he used a touch of brandy as the accellerator in his marinade along with some "Tuong Ot Sriacha" ( Red Rooster ) sauce to bring on the heat. This was like Ragin Cajun lip smackin I gar-own-tee !!!