PDA

View Full Version : cookin surf perch

hndymn48
10-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Anybody got a good way to cook barred surf perch? No matter how i cook em, the texture always comes out mushy :'(

gmdcdvm
10-22-2006, 01:47 PM
If you find out let me know. I tried them out for the first time last winter, and I agree. They came out mushy, and I decided not to try them again.
Gerry

pinfish
10-22-2006, 05:27 PM
deep fry 'em almost to the point of them being overcooked but you need big fishies or else the small ones turn into crispy nothingness fast

gmdcdvm
10-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Thats what I did last time. I deep fried them and left the skin on. The skin was awesome! Nice and crispy with a good flavor with spices on top. The meat was not to good. Maybe I'll need to cook them longer next time.

Thanks for the info. Any other cooking techniques that might work?
Gerry

catfished
10-22-2006, 06:50 PM
I just fillet them and remove the skin. Sprinkle the fillets with seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of black pepper. Roll the fillets in a 50/50 mixture of white cornmeal and regular flour. Pan fry or deep fry until golden brown on both sides. Absolutely delicious. This recipe works well with many different species but is particularly good for ocean perch, crappie and big bluegill. http://catfished.com/knifefork.gif

blue_chrush
10-22-2006, 07:23 PM
SURF PERCH DONE THE RIGHT WAY......... [smiley=cheers.gif]

Ingredients:

-------- *------------ *--------------------------------
* 2/4 *pounds *surf perch -- fresh, in 1-inch sq..
-------------now the batter------------------------------
get a six pack of beer........and no light beer.......

1- 1 1/2 * * *bottles * * * beer -- (one may do) *
* 1 * * *cup * * * * * flour
* 1 * * *teaspoon * * *salt
* * 1/2 *teaspoon * * *pepper

Preparation:
Mix flour, salt, pepper and 1/2 to 1 bottle of beer (depending on how thin or thick you would like the batter). Remember, always add more flour if batter is too thin. the batter should be about pancake thickness..

the oil in the pan should be around 325 just befor smokes....
use a meat thermo to tell.....
an 8qt pan works great with peanut oil and about a 1/2-3/4 bottle
about 3/4 inches deep...

Dip pieces of perch in batter and place directly in a pan of hot oil *and should Cook each piece for about 2 minutes and turn then turn and when golden brown there done, I usually put in about 8-10 pcs at a time.

sauce for them consist of tartar sauce......
mayo about... 5 tablsp
vinger.......1 tblsp
relish.........2 tablsp
and a shot of tabaco if you want...

oh,,the 5 bottles beer....to wash down with your tastey food...[smiley=cheers.gif]

HAHAHAHAHA.....
YOU HAVE TO LOVE ANY RECIEPE THAT STARTS OFF WITH BEER....

ocean_314
10-22-2006, 07:55 PM
i never tried to eat barred surf perch, but i eat stripped surf perch all the time. This is a healthy was to cook most white meat fish. It comes out good and the texture is as firm as you want the fish to be. This is how we eat all of our white meat fish.

Filet fish
Dip in egg white
Roll fish in italian bread crumbs
Put into a baking dish
Bake at 475% for 16 minutes more if you want a firmer texture.

Redwine
10-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey Ocean_314,

That sounds great!!

But how about a little white wine with it, hmmmm?

RW

hndymn48
10-24-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks guys for the food for thought ;D

FatCat
10-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I am glad you brought this up! I caught a mess of striped surf perch in the spring and really did not enjoy the meat, again too mushy. I just seasoned and broiled them.

Deep fried anything is good so I will give that a shot. Beer is also good with anything so the combo of the two should be killer! I am a big fan of italian bread crumbs so perhaps that will work, too.

Thank you.

Fishmom
10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Add a little grated Parmesan cheese and some fresh parsley to your Italian bread crumbs. Yummy!