PDA

View Full Version : shallow water in south bay

jerdh71
10-20-2006, 07:25 PM
while out catching sharks Weds we found out where the shallow water is off the sanleandro coast... the hard way. We launched straight out the from the marina and fallowed the dmarkers straight out for a few miles. Well after the tide had taken us south more we were closer to the san mateo bridge than the day before. After the winds decided for us that it was time to call it quits we headed in. I dont have a gps and my fish finder isnt worth a damn unless im stopped or at trolling like speeds. So I was heading toward shore still at least a 1/2 mile out, not realizing that the markers were north of us, my boat came to an instant stop next thing I new I was in 18-24'' of water. So for all you fellow rookies wanting to ggive this a try pay attention to those markers and maybe ask the experienced boaters. 1 question my boat did start back up ok and my prop didnt look any worse but is there anything else I could have damaged in my motor or lower unit.

bluestar
10-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah that part of the bay is very shallow; many portions actually have NEGATIVE DEPTH, meaning they are exposed at 0 tide. You either have to have a very good chart or good local knowledge to navigate.

I suspect you did not hear a big sound, just that your boat suddenly slowed and stalled. Bay bottom around there is mostly mud so you should not have serious damage to your motor.

jerdh71
10-20-2006, 09:11 PM
no noise, just a heitation & then a sudden hault, saw a sandy cloud of water

bluestar
10-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Yep you just hit the mud and stir it up. It'll give you a good scare (gives me one anyway) but shouldn't be any damage. I've hit mud several times and motor is still running.

I hate that place. Unfortunately that's the fishing ground closest to my home so I go there all the time. :-/

blue_chrush
10-21-2006, 09:48 AM
you were lucky....
I've been in the furthest part of the south bay
fishing in the creeks down there and once near
the evening we were not paying attention and
the tide ran out faster than expected.....
spent the next 8hrs on mud flats till the water came back....lol

this site might help others to see the bay without
having to buy a map and you could print sections to see
and keep with you.....

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=37.679357&lon=-122.1950104&scale=80000&zoom=50&type=0&icon=0&sear chscope=dom&CFID=2559406&CFTOKEN=44787592&scriptfi le=http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DM.MM

MoMoney
10-21-2006, 05:47 PM
One time I was out there in my zodiac and I noticed all the mud my prop was spittin up.I was in like 10 inches of water.Me and my buddy took off our shoes rolled up our pants and just walked off the shallow area pushing the boat.It was kinda funny!!

Chief_Sniffer
10-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Map and a compass. Cannot stress enough their importance.

StripeSideChaser
10-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Actually, you were pretty lucky... if you suck any of that mud into your intake, it will take out your impeller and the motor/outdrive will overheat pronto!
One note... if it happens again, get the outdrive up and the motor off, FAST! *(could save you a couple grand in repairs).