PDA

View Full Version : Mackinaw receipes

Hercules100
08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I have tried Mackinaw several different ways and it still taste like bait. I tried cooking the hole fish and had to keep the doors/windows open and the house still smells of strong fish. I then filet ed off the skim, took out all of the brown line/belly fat, bones, etc. I have tried grilled with olive oil, salt, lemon slices. In a tin foil pan with salt pepper, lemon, butter, olive oil. Still have to cook it outside and I'm the only one that will eat it, and it is very strong/fishy.

Any help would be great.

Hercules

iggybabble
08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I've had it smoked, and it was really good that way......If he doesn't weigh in on this, I'd ask Capt Tahoe directly on this. As a skipper who targets these fish regularly, I'd bet he has some suggestions/ recipes. Another thought is to treat it like Salmon, it's oil content isn't unlike Chinook salmon in particular, I bet it would be good marinated in Teriyaki and grilled or pan sautéed, maybe toss a little green onion and sesame oil on right before serving. Bob

dsa2780
08-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I've smoked a few smaller sized mackinaw in the same batch as kokanee and rainbows. They were great from what I could remember, just a simple brine of brown sugar, cold water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, fresh garlic, chopped onion, smoked paprika, the usual stuff.

Also, if they're larger sized fish that you plan on keeping, I'd recommend bleeding them much like you would a salmon, striper or and other large game fish that is legal to dispatch on the water. The fish dies a quicker death instead of suffocating and the fishy tasting blood and chemicals released from being in a stressful situation are omitted, preserving the quality.

Just a thought.

WLShafor
08-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Cut fillets use olive oil salt and pepper with fresh lime juice and some diced up fresh garlic cloves

1.) place fillets in pan with olive oil

2.) add salt, pepper and diced garlic cloves (I just light coat mine)

3.) pan fry for 5-10 mins drizzle lime juice before removing from Pan.

4.) Serve and enjoy :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iggybabble
08-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah, the gutting, gilling, bleeding em right away sounds like a good idea, how are you handling them? Are they getting konked on the head, cleaned quickly and put into an ice chest, preferably with some ice in the belly cavity, or are they in a live well or on a stringer over the side? Surface water temp might be too warm currently to keep them at there best. Fact is, even if you like most fish, Mackinaw may not be to your liking.......I seem to recall hearing a feller suggesting you stick to eating ducks??? I think he said it in a good natured way!! Be glad your one of the guys who can catch these fish, they have a reputation for being elusive to many anglers.......Bob

Hercules100
08-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks; Now I have some different ways to try, I have been bleeding and filleting within 10 minutes of catch. Your correct, I have seen people ruin a perfectly good Mallard or Pintail, generally too much crap added and over-cooked, dry stringy. I didn't mean to cause a problem for anybody, just want to cook these fish as good as I can. If I can't eat it I won't keep it...Got two more today, so I'll try these two receipts tonight.

Thanks again
Hercules