PDA

View Full Version : mudsuckers in the bay?

bretmoua
10-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Anyone here ever taken mudsuckers from lakes or reservoirs and use it in the bay? I know that midshipmen works for many species in the bay but what about mudsuckers? They should produce the same thing correct? Would the mudsuckers survive in salt water? hmmm........ :-?

hookncook
10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
i know mudsuckers live in the bay and are a very good lepord shark bait but would probably not make it from fresh water to salt water that fast

Fishbutt21
10-03-2006, 03:48 PM
it is illegal to move bait fish like that if they are still alive.Unless you are a licensed bait dealer DFG looks down on that sorta thing.

bretmoua
10-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up info. I guess I can try to find a bait shop that carries midshipmen. Either that or I'll have to try and fish for some by the rocks near shore.

jerdh71
10-04-2006, 06:45 AM
About 20 yrs ago,(oh crap that makes me sound old) we use to catch mudsuckers at the San Leandro marina pier & use them for stripers near the oakland coliseum.

Fishbutt21
10-04-2006, 08:46 AM
They are harder to find then a few years back but most bait shops that sell grass shrimp and have tanks also sell mudsuckers and bullheads for striper bait. Both can also be caught around rocks and reeds close to shore and the kids have a blast catching their own bait.To be legal you can not move bait fish from the body of water were caught to other bodys of water.Thats how we got Pike in CA :o

kromebrite
10-04-2006, 10:04 AM
*I guess I can try to find a bait shop that carries midshipmen. *
Are you wanting midshipmen or bullheads?

Two different things, for different types of fish.

bretmoua
10-04-2006, 10:20 PM
bullheads, midshipmen, it doens't really matter. The last time I used a midshipmen out at the rockwall by oakland internation airport, I landed a 29 inch striper. So I really don't have a bait of choice between the two. I'm sure they will produce the same when using it as bait.