PDA

View Full Version : Any boat launch in NYC Queens' north shore?

bluestar
10-02-2006, 06:23 AM
I'm gonna be vacationing in NY for two weeks at my parents house and am contemplating getting a small boat there to go on water. I will be around the town of Flushing in Queens. Anyone know if there is any boat launch around Queens' north shore?

I see on satellite image there are a couple of marinas in Flushing Bay, but can't tell if they have boat launch facility.

Or, can anyone point me to any fishing forum for NYC?

drstressor
10-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Just Google "Long Island Fishing" and you'll find lots of sites with information and some forums.

Fishing is not very good near the City. There should be some winter flounder starting up in Great South Bay just to the east of where you are staying. Boat rentals might be closed for the season, however. I haven't been out there for 30 years, so I can't steer you to any specific marinas or ramps.

If I were you, I would find a way to get out to the east end (Montauk or Orient Points) for outstanding fall striper and bluefish action that holds up at least through early November.

bluestar
10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks I'm reading some LI boating information. Here is a little something I found on one of the sites (http://www.thefishingline.com/ramplist.htm):

-------------------------------------------------------------
Wantagh County Park, Merrick Rd., Wantagh
516-571-7460
Open Year Round
May 1st to Oct. 31st. / 5 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Nov. 1 through May 1 5 a.m. to dusk
Seasonal resident fee $40
Resident daily fee $20
Non resident daily $100
-------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean this particular ramp charges $100 for non-resident to launch a boat???!!!

bluestar
10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
drstressor, just want to share with you the result of my research, in case you ever make it back there and want to get your feet wet. *i found a boat launch right below the west end of the George Washington Bridge with a $10 launch fee. *This will be perfect for my sightseeing cruise because it puts the boat right there near the NY harbor. *Now I only need to avoid spooking the homeland security folks... *Thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/rhbj03/GWBridge.jpg

drstressor
10-02-2006, 10:16 PM
It's very typical for town owned ramps in the North East to charge exorbitant prices to keep non-residents out.

Sight seeing on the lower Hudson River and NY Harbor? That would be different, I guess. ::)

The first clean(?) water you will find is all the way around Sandy Hook.

45_Auto
10-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Not sure I would want to sight see on the lower Hudson or in the Harbor. Unless they've cleaned it up, all you'll see is mostly run down piers and High rises. You'll see the same on the Staten Island ferry or on one of the tour boats. Less hassle and less worries.

And I definitely agree about Montauk. Blues and Stripers from the beach or boat are a blast. In fact, both are possible within minutes of each other. If you get down around Sandy Hook, you need to watch the wind and tides, The rip at the point of Sandy Hook can get down right nasty with a Nor'East wind and an outgoing tide.

drstressor
10-03-2006, 07:07 AM
The rip at the point of Sandy Hook can get down right nasty with a Nor'East wind and an outgoing tide.

Sorry for the hijack, but that sure brings back memories. I recall trying to fight through those standing waves in a 14 ft rental skiff with my dad (who knew very little about boating) when I was a little kid.

When I got a little older I used to mate on the Ranger out of Atlantic Highlands. We'd chum for blues in the "the stain" outside NY Bight. That was where the tankers used to purge their tanks and bilges before entering the harbor. :P